NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Warm Room decorations

Tinker1947

Depends where you are I think- in light polluted site I might consider the black finish in order to subdue the incoming light. In a dark location you might want keep some incoming photons so you don't trip over.

It's probably more of an issue if you are an observer rather than an imager. Keeping your dark adaption is important - so maybe dark walls help more then.

Dark if you're a visual observer, but if you are you probably don't need a warm room, but if you're an imager, paint it a light colour....you don't need good dark adaptation but you do need to see where you put/drop things!

The same goes for the main obs room too.

Rob

Mine is very light grey.

Light doesn't get down the scope because it's stopped by the dewshield.

There is absolutely no reason to have a black obsy when imaging, as long as your scope itself is shielded from stay light.....of course, if you want a black obs then fine...there's no law against it :D

I haven't got round to finishing off my warm room but since it's lined with decent quality plywood I'm thinking of varnishing it. The mahogany coloured panels and light wood trim will look quite nice I think. I might paint the ceiling white to add reflected light from the windows in daytime and from the electric lights at night for a more even illumination.

Interesting point about not needing dark adaptation for imaging (which, apart from checking pointing with the finder, I do exclusively). I have red as well as white lights in both scope room and warm room and find I rarely use the red lights. In fact, since the bulb in the red bulkhead light in the warm room blew, I haven't bothered to replace it.

On the subject of lighting, I've found I would like to have a switch in the warm room to switch the scope room light on and off while watching the scope slew through the dividing door window. I'm afraid I don't trust anything and like to watch the slewing to make sure everything is alright. I shall be putting in a 2-way switch for the white light in the scope room, on the other side of the partition. The dimmers have 2-way switching so this is easy.

It's amazing how many odd little things you find when actually using the obsy that hadn't occurred to you in the design and building stages.

Mine's just particle board coloured. It's an imaging observatory and there's no stray light to fend off. The bench-bed is nicely upholstered, though, in a flowery cover thanks to Monique's scrap fabric bin! As yet no fridge for the G and T's but give me time!!

Olly

(Did I mention) Dulux Eggshell "Holiday Blues" [A pleasant mid-Blue!] on the inner 3-ply lining of my Alexander's thingammybob. Essentially looks BLACK, under Red LED lighting. :(

From my (partitioned only!) warm room, I often leave the Red LED lights *on* in the adjoining telescope area, when slewing! aLSO still afraid something might "fall off" or "keel over"? LOL. The background is SIGNIGICANT e.g. when I turn the (video astronomy) Watec to higher gains. So, when imaging, it's definitely, "lights out"! :)

Aside: It can take a LONG time to "decorate" an observatory though? Or maybe my first enthusiasm just waned? Cabling between a warm room and the scope... I'm certainly well acquainted with every species of feed-through connector - Coax, BNC, 3.5mm Jack, that currently exists... :confused:

Almost finished now. Worth checking the possibilities though. You'll never get (stay) rich, with an observatory...

I went the other way... kettle and a microwave :confused: It's surprising how good a hot pastie tastes at 2.00 am :(:)

I'm doing a fairly major obs rebuild soon, and strangely enough my warm room will also have a kettle, microwave and toaster....plus a TV, bunk and dvd....the first warm room was built with the idea of it being a 'mission control'......now it's going to be a cosy place to keep an eye on things :)

• 4 weeks later...
I haven't got round to finishing off my warm room but since it's lined with decent quality plywood I'm thinking of varnishing it. The mahogany coloured panels and light wood trim will look quite nice I think.

Perhaps some oak paneling Gina? A couple of old masters and a drinks cabinet too?

If you stock a decent single malt, I'll be round with my paintbrush to help with the varnishing.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm doing a fairly major obs rebuild soon, and strangely enough my warm room will also have a kettle, microwave and toaster....plus a TV, bunk and dvd....the first warm room was built with the idea of it being a 'mission control'......now it's going to be a cosy place to keep an eye on things :mad:

More of an age thing methinks :D Don't forget the bedpan to! :eek:

I'm thinking of paint mine blood red as it's the fave colour of my lord Satan :):p:hello2:

Matt.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived