Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M81 M82: A kick in the Bodes 2012

Uranium235

Ive had this one sitting in the "to do" pile for a while (I captured this data in January), and I originally had the intention of adding Ha. But other targets took priority (along with weeks of cloud) so I never really got round to doing it, plus I knew it would take a ton of Ha to make any noticeable difference.

Also, no LP filters used as I decided to "go commando" - the Bodes are always pretty high up and away from the mush of LP coming from the town centre. One question though, does the star colour look ok? Or have I overcooked it?

So its time to process what I have, and this is what came out in the wash:

M81 / M82 Bodes Nebulae:

L(38x450), R,G,B(16x450 each) Total exposure = 10hr 45min

ED80(0.85x), Atik 314L+, CG5-GT

Calibration: Flats and Bias

Setpoint: -10

Thanks for looking :D

Rob

attachment.php?attachmentid=84794&stc=1&d=1334177812

post-18171-133877761737_thumb.jpg

Excellent, I hope I can do as well when the weather finally clears. Why is when you finally get all the gear together, the bloomimg weather changes!!

Its because when you add together all the little cloud magnets that your gear is, it becomes one massive cloud magnet! :D

I think we've got this rainy weather for a while at least, hopefully we can get some time in before the end of the month as the moon is on its way out now.

Thanks to Blinky too, you've set my mind at rest over the star colours :(

What a great image there despite really having the targets in the vignetting region, but it's such a nice, natural, spot on processing. Something to aspire to!

I think the background is exactly as I like it to be - but never manage to achieve, the stars have just a hint of colour and well and the galaxies are just too good! Definately not overcooked, solid data!

PS Would something like Registar deal with different FOV's etc? Only seen it demonstrated by a very experienced member, but is seemed to align pretty much any data.

Very nice Rob! The stars look perfect to me, and the detail is lovely and smooth! :D

The galaxies look a little on the yellow side, perhaps? Have you tried tweaking the balance towards blue?

I also know what it's like to pine over new kit that I can't afford! :(

Very nice Rob! The stars look perfect to me, and the detail is lovely and smooth! :D

The galaxies look a little on the yellow side, perhaps? Have you tried tweaking the balance towards blue?

I also know what it's like to pine over new kit that I can't afford! :(

Thanks Lewis, I had my suspicions about the lack of blue in the image. I could take more blue subs, but the camera is hooked up to the 150P at the moment so I might have a stab at tinkering with the colour balance instead - though I have a feeling I will make a right hash of it!

I will have a play once im set up this evening (I reckon it will be clear), it will give me something to do while the subs roll in.

PS: Now ive heard about the new software PA routine for SW mounts, its turned the "would like" into a "must have". I might get in quick before SW see this addition as something they can charge extra for (or am I being cynical?...lol).

Ahhh... now I understand the confusion :D

You posted that question in the "Ghost of Jupiter" thread where I used the 150P

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/184918-ghost-jupiter-quick-grab.html

I answered the question too, but I'll copy/paste for speed:

"Hi Nadeem, yes i used the mpcc for this. I wouldnt go without it when using the newt, and with the 314 it gives me a pretty flat field. The spacing is also dead easy to set up when compared to reducer i use for the ED80."

Very nice indeed..

Know what you mean about the "to do pile" mounting up.. mine's waiting for the lack of astronomical darkness fast approaching :D the way this clouds been going..

PS: Now ive heard about the new software PA routine for SW mounts, its turned the "would like" into a "must have". I might get in quick before SW see this addition as something they can charge extra for (or am I being cynical?...lol).

Huh.. what have I missed here??

No prob mate :D

I use the MPCC so theres no question over the stars in the corners of the frame. Theyre always a handy item to have too because it can be used on most newts with a 2" focuser, including the Quattro :(

Archived