Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which grab & go mount is for you??

Whippy

Due to something small and gorgeous coming my way shortly for the top half of my G&G set up, I'm now looking for the bottom part. I'm thinking an Alt/Az mount would be good because it doesn't need polar alignment, a good example being I can't see Jupiter because it's too low in the South and my house is South facing. If I set an GEQ mount in my front garden, I wouldn't be able to see Polaris (but I s'pose a rough alignment would do!). So I'm gravitating towards an AZ3, as it's cheap and should do the job I want it to. Other than that and Vixen's portamount, is there any other alternatives?

Tony..

AZ3. But I now use a "modified" EQ3-2 - setup to work in "Alt-Azimuth". For a lightweight scope (ST102 etc.), it is fine without counterweights, and makes a passable poor man's "Easy Touch". You even get the advantage of inbuilt slow motion drives - rare on pukka Alt-Az mounts. :D

I'm assuming AZ3's have the usual Vixen/Synta shoe for dovetails right? I've never actually seen one in the flesh y'see...

Perhaps a bit better than a photo - The manual for typical AZ3. It can use tube rings. I'm not sure WHAT you'd call the "other method" - Basically the dovetail bar on a Skywatcher MAK etc. sits in "concave bit" on the top of the AZ3 and you just add screws. :lol:

AZ3 Manual: http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/documents/8.pdf

The NEW Orion "Versago" looks nice. Nice price too, unfortunately! :D

I'm assuming AZ3's have the usual Vixen/Synta shoe for dovetails right? I've never actually seen one in the flesh y'see..

Tony..

No , you'd need to use a connecting plate to use dovetails, as it is the rings screw directly into the mount.

Archived