NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars 07/04 reduced 'rind.' Is it OK to photoshop it out?

rawhead

Is it OK to doctor an image to remove an unwanted artefact?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Is it OK to doctor an image to remove an unwanted artefact?

• Yes
    • No

I see it as fine if you have just processed the data that is there by adjusting a selection in the original image. It's artistic licence to start rubber stamping or painting over the "rind"

All in all though I like the second image and would be happier with the final result.

I think removing is ok, its adding that anyone might have a problem with. But thankfully theres not many situations where that can actually happen i dont think. you can look at this in two ways. if the artifact is false and the planet shouldnt have it there, then removing it might actually be restoring the image to what is closer ( not further ) away from the truth. Though i know not everyone agrees with that point. if the artifact is bang in the middle of a shot, and information would be altered profoundly, then maybe thats a no no

I used the clone brush in PaintShop X3

Earlier on you do say that you used Photoshop.........what ever was used I think it's perfectly all right to do as you wish with your own image.

If you use Photoshop try the Spot Healing Brush Tool,it works rather well on this type of blemish.

post-13495-133877760717_thumb.png

Earlier on you do say that you used Photoshop.........what ever was used I think it's perfectly all right to do as you wish with your own image.

If you use Photoshop try the Spot Healing Brush Tool,it works rather well on this type of blemish.

Thanks CW. I see you haven't lost your touch :)

You must have one of the longest running avatars on the board? :)

I used 'photoshop' as a generic term for photo manipulation. I'd love a copy but can't afford it. I bought paintshop for just over a tenner. It does a job... (mostly)

Cheers

I don't have a problem with it either !

I agree with Neil here -it's not a problem taking away but would be if adding something that was never there.

If processing improves an image without the addition of false data then yeah go ahead.

I've used the ellipse tool to "layer by cut" the planet away from the rind (when the rind is extrenuous to the planet) then delete the underlying layer, helps if you remember to feather the edge tho :) but you'd need to layer the original onto a black "New" image of the same size first

PS the vote ??? I simply disagree with the notion that this is Doctoring so will not answer

Archived