Is a 5mm EP worth buying?

I've got the 5mm x-cel and it is good on a clear night.Ive had some great views of Jupiter.some nights that are clear but moist it's a bit blurry so I'm waiting on delivery for the 7mm one.The 9mm is great but for planets I just wanted to get a little closer so I think the 7mm may be the best one.

Danny.

I have a 7mm and it's usable most of the time in my 1200mm 250PX. A 5 mm would get some use so if you have the money I would say go for it. Planets don't interest me enough to bother with a high power than my 7mm, that's the only reason I don't have one.

I've got a bst 8mm too, on the (very occasional) excellent night I'll barlow it. I'd consider spending your cash on a decent barlow than a 5mm ep.

Couldn't agree more (see previous post) for the amount of time that you may use it, it is hardly worth the expense (unless you don't have to worry about the pennies). Most of us already have a barlow so the cost is nothing.

Good for close doubles, the moon, mars and saturn as these bear high mag quite well (my personal view). Jupiter might be a little dim at that magnification (X 240) to see details in an 8 inch. I use very high mags regularly as I like searching for very close doubles.

On a night of good seeing, a well collimated and cooled 8" scope should be able to handle 240x. Jupiter rarely impresses at the highest powers but, conditions allowing they can be very useful for Saturn, the Moon and binary stars and Mars really does need as much as the scope / conditions will allow.

So well worth having an eyepiece that can deliver this in the eyepiece case in my view, if you like viewing the above objects of course !.

A 5mm will work on a 200P. I use a 10mm with a 3x barlow on a 200P, that's equivalent to a 3.33mm eyepiece and I get sharp image every time. But having said that, £70 seems a bit much, I'm sure it's a good eyepiece but if it was me I wouldn't pay that.

I use the 5mm quite often here in Portugal. Maybe conditions won't allow a steady view too often, but when they do, 240x does help a lot getting those extra details from planets.

If eye relief is not a problem I would suggest an orthoscopic EP. Having tried several much more expensive EPs, I find orthos to give as good or better views. The problem is they lack in confort when compared to other models. I picked up my baader orthos for about 45 each second hand.

I use a 5mm BST in a 1250 FL scope and although I cant use it that often, it has given me some wonderful detailed views of Jupiters GRS and a couple of gallilean moon transits. Worth it, I thought, for that extra bit of detail.

Bart

I use the 200P for planetary viewing with the following eyepieces ....

7mm giving x171 for Jupiter

6mm giving x200 for Saturn

5mm giving x240 for Mars

All are wide angle eyepieces making tracking easy even at x240.

I decided to buy 2nd hand bst 5mm instead in case I don't get the use. I think I best putting my money into a decent 18-20 EP as I'll get a lot more use from it I think.

Have you tried it yet, would have been good tonight on Saturn ?

Tried it tonight along with my new Vixen NLV 20mm and both are very nice. Mars was goand od through the 5mm BST as was venus. The Vixen however was astounding compared to my old Revelation 20mm it had excellent contrast showing the M81 & 82 like I haven't seen them before. The both worked nice with the Baader Neodynium filter too. Well pleased.

Archived