black spot on mirror?

I think I would leave it - fiddling with it might damage the coating or smear it. there'll only be a very minor amount of light loss - you won't notice it. (unless it is a mini black hole !)

Had the same issue with my new 150p. I think they are paint flecks. The supplier offered me another scope which on opening also had flecks. He then volunteered to remove them by taking out the primary. I may be old fashioned but shouldn't optics be clean. I returned mine.

Synta appear to have some qa issues.

I had a tiny dead moth fall into mine last night and seems stuck to the mirror.

From what I have read its best to leave well alone, but its bugging the hell out of me!

There are also a couple of possible paint flecks on it too but only really tiny bits.

Probably best to listen and leave, I imagine they do collect a bit of dust/debris/small flying things from general use anyway?

Cheers,

Rob.

I've seen loads of incredibly dirty mirrors, including one with a full spider's web. There's no noticable viewing difference. I had loads of bat poo on the primary. Just keep covered up if not in use , particularly outdoors. Tubes seem to a magnet for mice, spiders and insects.

Personally, If i'd spent out on a new scope, I'd expect it to be pristine.

If you do decide to keep it I understand the best way to clear it would be to remove the primary and give it a squirt with distilled water with the mirror at an angle and the paint fleck at the bottom. May as well wait for the mirror to get messed up a bit first.

Maybe somebody could confirm this.

Yeah, maybe they should be clean out of the box but they'll get dirty after a few nights out anyway. It's really not worth sending back something for a blemish that is insignificant.

Are you sure the paint fleck can't be dislodged with a rocket blower? Quite possibly it just fell in from the UTA during shipping or installation. That's happened to me before.

I have had a few small flecks of paint on my primary too, and from what I have read they make little to no difference.

I certainly haven't seen any degradation in performance.

Don't bother sending your scope back - these things will happen anyway, and it's just not worth the bother.

I'm just going to wait until at least 18 months have passed or things get noticably worse before cleaning mine.

Had a spec on my MN190 when new. Took a photo of it and was offered a replacement or a small refund. Went for the replacement which was spotless. Agree these specs will have no impact on the quality of the image but why put up with something that is not right?

To re-iterate I returned mine. Optics should be sold clean, no paint and no fingerprints. If all contaminated scopes are returned then Skywatcher / Synta will finally up their qa. I have some dust on my scope from a few months use but you can hardly see it. When your not using the scope cover it straight away - very simple.

You wouldn't accept a new car if it was dirty or any other item if it was marked but the fact the most important part of the scope is marked would make me chuck it back. It will always be there in your mind wondering what it is, tempting you to try and get it off, calling you........clean me, clean me. Anyway you get my message lol

Yes, it's true optics should be sold clean and if it really bothers you then you should send it back. However, a small black spot will make no difference at all to the views. What will make a difference is all the stuff you can't see easily, such as the quality of the mirror polish. There is a degree of variability in the mirrors coming out of these optical houses, so you're always gambling regarding the quality of what you get. If you're serious about sending it back then first have the mirror tested and see what you have in your hands. If it's an unusually good mirror then it would be silly to exchange it as what you'll back will likely not be as good. If it's an average mirror then why not send it back? You probably have nothing to lose.

Archived