NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My New Observing Deck

Damo636

My two brothers and I started this job a few hours ago and now stopped for a well deserved bottle of Bud break :)

We have the 12' X 12' base filled and ready for compacting with the vibrating plate. 4" of concrete will then be filled on top if weather holds out. Its not an easy job by any means as we had to wheel the stone up a steep ramp to the base. The deck will give me virtually unobstructed views from west to east so the effort should be worth it.

Anyway, breaks over, back to the grindstone!

post-24496-133877759536_thumb.jpg

post-24496-133877759544_thumb.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers guys. Four hours later, knackered, filthy and after a LOT!! of mixing I have an observing deck :):hello2::)

Que the clouds, and some more bud :o

Where's the pier going? :D

No need for a pier Gina, this is a home for dobs :)

post-24496-133877759645_thumb.jpg

Did you mention it is concrete Damo ? I'd always understood this is not the most advisable material to use as it stores heat during the day and slowly releases it during the night causing thermals. You could always lay decking over the top which would at least stop the sun heating it up ??

Did you mention it is concrete Damo ? I'd always understood this is not the most advisable material to use as it stores heat during the day and slowly releases it during the night causing thermals. You could always lay decking over the top which would at least stop the sun heating it up ??

I didn't know this but no option now other than to "suck it and see"

:)

I'd imagine it would only have slight ill effects on the views anyway. I only mentioned it as I have found in this game we strive for even those slightest of improvements by spending hundreds on EP's, flocking, dew shields, fans etc and that even what we place our scopes on needed to be taken in to consideration. I know of some survival tips that say to heat up rocks and use in a similar way to water bottles to keep you warm as they store heat.

great location, very jelous indeed. im glad you posted a pic including the 12" dobsonian. it gives a good sense of scale and made me realise ,if i ever bought one of them home my misses would go mental. maybe 10" ?

anyway congrats on the observation dec.

Thanks guys. Definitely room for another dob Steve, as well as the beer fridge :(

Nice Damo, do you have to bring the Dob far to get to it?

Barry

At the minute until I get some storage sorted I have to carry it from the shed about 10 yards away Barry. The problem is I have to lift it up and over the 4' 6" retaining wall. In hindsight, a set of steps built into the wall would have been ideal :D

Thanks guys. Definitely room for another dob Steve, as well as the beer fridge :( At the minute until I get some storage sorted I have to carry it from the shed about 10 yards away Barry. The problem is I have to lift it up and over the 4' 6" retaining wall. In hindsight, a set of steps built into the wall would have been ideal :D

For Gods sake be careful with that 12" baby, Damo

How are you fixed for breezes there it looks like a great spot. I admire your dedication .

Fair dues to you.

Good luck

Barry .

For Gods sake be careful with that 12" baby, Damo

How are you fixed for breezes there it looks like a great spot. I admire your dedication .

Fair dues to you.

Good luck

Barry .

After the job I had getting it back down again it will not be goin back up until I have a more permanent solution to store it in sorted :D

It can get a bit breezy at times Barry as its quite open but most of the time its not too bad :(

I have concrete bases and don't get any bad effects from seeing. I gets very hot here, too, so although I can see the theory I don't find the practice agrees with it.

Olly

Thanks for that Olly, puts my mind at ease :D

Glad to hear there should not be any adverse effects Damo. I was only quoting what I have read but it's better to hear it from someone in a similar situation. Could you not get a garden shed and put it near to the deck and then drop some casters on the bottom of the dob to roll it out on to the deck when needed ?? If I remember correctly I think Johninderby did some thing similar to his dob ??

Looks like a good job - but fairly easy compared to my ground works- I still have 3 tonnes of slate chippings to hand carry up in buckets to finish of my obsy site!

You have nice low horizons too, we are in a bit of a valley although we are on the south facing slope.

I have concrete bases and don't get any bad effects from seeing. I gets very hot here, too, so although I can see the theory I don't find the practice agrees with it.

Olly

A concrete pad will be thermally coupled to the (large amount) of earth underneath it. So it won't get that hot.

However if you have a concrete flat roof, for example, there's nowhere for the heat from the sun to go, except into the concrete itself. That *will* get hot, as will tiled roofs, walls etc.

So I'd expect thermal currents at night from surrounding buildings, but not from ground-based telescope pads.

Archived