startravel telescopes

startravelman

hi everyone,

i currently have a Skywatcher Startravel 150,and was thinking of selling and buying the Startravel 120.Would i be making a big mistake?Dont get me wrong,the 150 is great but was thinking of an imaging scope a tad smaller.I do have the Evostar 120,and to be honest,i dont think there is much between them both in power and performance.So before i do anything,can anyone out there help me decide?

Clear skies everyone :icon_salut:

Hi Startravelman and welcome to SGL, if it is your desire to enter the dark world of imaging, you could do no better than invest in a copy of "Every Photon Counts" by Steve Richards and available through FLO our forum sponsor, an invaluable guide and investment, as in the long run, without going into details, you could spend money on equipment which may not in the end be of any practical use to you, asking as many questions as you like in the beginners section and imaging sections, is the best step forward IMHO before dipping your hand in your pocket. All of the help you receive from the forum members should help you reach the correct decision for you :icon_salut:

John.

I still like my ST102. The series does have it's denigrators - Short focal length achromats are likely "tricky" to design / make... use though? They are without doubt more accessible, price-wise, than many "posh" refractors though? :D

If chromatic aberration is the problem... Narrow band filters? Stop it down? I toy with the idea of a focusser upgrade. Certainly the original ones show a fair bit of "focusser droop"? <sigh> It may not be "worth it", but whatever their imperfections, refractors do seem quite contrasty! Ultimately, a whole "DIY" telescope, retaining just the objective? If I win the lottery, put in an Ortho-Apo triplet (whatever!) of similar focal length? :icon_salut:

Archived