NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Milky Way

Ganymede12

in the site we have in blaenavon on a nice night its very visiable, also peter and kev (phycobilly and kev 102 42) both av said its visiable in the breacon beacons visistor center

i'll be honest iv seen it very clearly in my auntys back garden in croespenmaen, but that was sumertime when we have it overhead earlier, and on a perfect night which is fairly rare so i would say anywhere its dark its visiable really you could try caerphilly mountain in the cafes carpark but obviously you will have LP all around you

Could see it about 2 weeks ago at Trecastle just North of the Beacons - earlier in the year could see it much better at Mynydd Epynt (even further North) but the best is yet to come if you can stay up late enough.

Last summer/autumn at blaenavon the milky way was imense,i went for a evenings observing with my fatherlaw,but we didnt even get the scope out of the car!.We sat there all night staring at the sky.But on a decent night its viewable from my back garden.

Depends on the time of year for best viewing, September/ October/ November are the best times and it can be seen from any semi dark site. I see it often from the back garden. you just have to wait for the time of year that the earth is looking through the horizontal plane of the galaxy. at the moment we are smack bang in the middle of looking directly out (vertical) so thats the reason for not much in the sky at the moment.

on clear nights i can se it from my garden just outside caerphilly. the condition have to be right though. best i have seen it in wales is from Trefach camp site. here 51.927596,-4.69466

Archived