Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy on a budget

Hi again. Is there a recognised brand (amongst all you fine people) of ep's for those of us on a limited budget, as opposed to the gazillionairs who buy, say Pentax ? There is such a wide choice. Obviously one has to compromise on quality against price but WHICH BRAND ?

If you are willing to buy used and don't need to wear spectacles to observe, then you don't need to compromise at all on quality as you can buy Televue Plossls, and Baader Genuine Orthos for about £50 used. These are every bit as good as other premium eyepieces but do have a smaller field and relatively tighter eye relief than some brands.

They hold up in my collection well and this includes a Nagler and an Ethos.

Vixen, and Baader are good eyepiece brands for those on a budget and neither make any bad eyepieces. GSO (Revelation), Celestron, Skywatcher have a number a good eyepiece series, but they also make poor quality kit eyepiece as well as a number of not so good eyepiece series.

For budget <£50

New: Vixen NPL, GSO plossl, BST Explorer

Used: BGO

<£100

New: Baader BGO and Hyperion, Vixen NLV, Celestron LX, TV plossl

Notable mention

Baader 8-24mm Hyperion Click Stop zoom - The one eyepiece that will replace an entire set.

Notable mention

Baader 8-24mm Hyperion Click Stop zoom - The one eyepiece that will replace an entire set.

I'd disagree with that. Convenient certainly, but a 50 degree field of view at 24mm means there are better options for widefield viewing.

Agreed. Where the hyperion zoom does do everything though, is in a planetary scope like my mak. Wide angle not so important at low power, and you can adjust your max power to suit conditions.

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

I'd disagree with that. Convenient certainly, but a 50 degree field of view at 24mm means there are better options for widefield viewing.

It's no worse than a 24mm plossl for AFOV, and it has the widest AFOV for any zoom at 24mm except the Leica ASPH.

Think about this, if you buy all 5 Vixen NPLs in the focal range covered by the Hyperion zoom (8,10,15,20, 25mm NPL) will cost £160. The 4 BST Explorers (8,12,15,18) will cost £188. The 3 Celestron LX will cost £207 (9,12,18).

The Hyperion zoom only cost £169. Even if it does not replace the whole set, it can replace most of it

It's no worse than a 24mm plossl for AFOV, and it has the widest AFOV for any zoom at 24mm except the Leica ASPH.

Think about this, if you buy all 5 Vixen NPLs in the focal range covered by the Hyperion zoom (8,10,15,20, 25mm NPL) will cost £160. The 4 BST Explorers (8,12,15,18) will cost £188. The 3 Celestron LX will cost £207 (9,12,18).

The Hyperion zoom only cost £169. Even if it does not replace the whole set, it can replace most of it

I agree. Lets also not forget that you can focus the zoom EP in between stops.

I'm only a beginner myself but I can recommend the celestron x-cel lx range.I've collected the 5,7,9,18 and 25 so far and they are very good.

Having said that though I've only got the skywatcher 10 and 25 to compare these to,but I can tell the difference.

Danny.

Archived