Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello boys, I'm back!

Akyra

I know, a crappy quote from Independance Day... :D

The move went great, everything went in the van/cars and we shifted the lot in one trip. The house is fantastic, we have more space than in our previous house. Everything was still working when we arrived, and it was just a case of plugging everything in and emptying the boxes. There was keys and notes attached the walls and cupboard everywhere!! :p The previous owners even left us a 'Welcome Home' card and a bottle of wine!! Very thoughtful of them, I sure hope their move went as easily as ours - They lived here for 40+ years.

Only now - 4 weeks on - does the internet work! For whatever reason TalkTalk decided to put a marker on our line preventing us from going with any other company, why BT couldnt tell us that when we phoned a month ago I dont know, but the problem was fixed after the 5th phonecall.

Didnt really get much observing done as the weather has been dreadful. Managed to get out one night and even used the LPI (see imaging forum) briefly, but due to the limited time I had before the clouds rolled over I didnt really figure out how to use it so the results are a bit rubbish. Light pollution does seem to be worse than in the old house, theres also several streetlights right outside the front of our house, so I will probably started taking the scope out to darker sites if it becomes a problem.

One thing I have realised though is how convienient a dob mount is. I just lift it, take it outside, plonk it down and away I go. Im ready within a minute - if that. Now if I had a EQ mount I would first have to setup, align, and then target what I want - Just as the clouds roll over! So AltAz does have some advantages....

My parents have bought some land out in Bulgaria, and in 4 weeks we are flying out there to decide what to do with our 'football pitch'. From pictures I have seen taken from their previous trip out there it is very remote where this land is, very few houses nearby and probably near zero light pollution - due to the fact there is no streetlights, etc. The road to the land is literally a dirt track, so hopefully the sky will look amazing from there. I currently have only a crappy pair of binoculars but may invest in a better pair. Would rather take my scope :lol: :lol:

Anyway, what have I missed out on? Gonna try catch up on recent postings.

Clear skies all, Philip.

Welcome back Phillip.

Glad the move went ok. It's always nice to arrive and find that nothing's been dropped or damaged during transit.

Shame about the LP though, but like the rest of us poor aflicted souls, you'll have to just grin and bear it!

Bulgaria sounds good, good luck with that.

Ant

Archived