Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Very young moon - 28 hours!

Andrew*

I'm so thrilled! I have set a new personal record for viewing the moon closest to new!

I went out this evening viewing from about 6.39pm, when it was exactly 28 hours after new moon, and about half an hour after sunset. In fact, I didn't actually spot it until 6.54pm, so it was 28 hours 15 minutes old. I couldn't see it naked eye, only in my 15x70 binoculars (handheld), and it appeared merely as an uneven, straggled sliver in the bright early evening sky. You couldn't even really describe it as a crescent, because the terminator is right on the limb, so the illuminated parts make it very uneven.

What an excellent challenge - and so satisfying to achieve.

As it's so close to the equinox, it is pretty much the best timing to see a young moon as the ecliptic is at its greatest angle with the horizon at sunset. It's more challenging at heigher latitudes and the typical poor sky conditions we have in the UK, so I don't hold much hope of beating this record very soon. It's been done naked eye only 15 hours old though - good old O'Meara, what a legend.

Did anyone else bag it this evening?

I did, I put the scope out to cool about 18:45 and aligned the finder on Venus then had a quick look at the faint orange finger nail. My first ever look at the Moon through a scope - I had no idea I was witnessing something rare... but my thought was - wow - I can see a crater half in shadow on the terminator - that crater must be HUGE!! Awesome sight even through the heat haze of tube currents. I must get a lunar filter now the moon is on the ascendancy :blob10:

yes mike not a problem i used a bog standard hard iphone case off ebay for couple of quid, two small pieces of metal and an old bike torch bracket, and hey presto, otherwise orion charge £50n notes for summat like this

post-34932-133877752504_thumb.jpg

Archived