NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars 14th March - good seeing

astroman001

At last we had good seeing and the mist held off long enough to get a few RGBs done. Seeing was very steady with occasional wobbles, best this year for me.

You can make out Olympus Mons sticking up through a orographic cloud around it's summit at th ecentre of the disk. Plenty of blue louud over Tharsis and Elysium.

Still getting some ringing on the LHS, very annoying.

All the best

Peter

post-16528-133877747688_thumb.jpg

post-16528-133877747692_thumb.jpg

That's a pair of very nice Mars images. I especially like the details of the clouds. Thes some really amazing Mars images being posted lately and this is up there with the best of them.:)

Very nice images Peter !:):icon_salut:

I wouldn't get too worried about that "bright artefact/ringing" as everyone gets it.....I'm pretty convinced about the arguement that it's optically induced - and absolutely nothing that the imager has any control over: everyone is getting it, but we're all either masking or removing it in various other ways.....if someone says they aren't, then it's about a 90%+ chance they're fibbing..!:):):)

Cheers guys,

Neil, this was taken at 1/60 sec for red but at 30fps to avoid ringing, but obviously it didn't completely stop it. Darryl believes it's optical rather than CCD related.

Peter

Interesting peter, the artifact you mention on these camera mods is rather different to the one showing. The one showing here is the one we are all getting. Interesting idea shooting just the red to minimize its affect, seems to have worked well.

I belive its less than perfect seeing that is not working well with Mars small size. on screen i can see the pulling affect that is causing it.

under the calmest moments, the edge is tight, then its off again pulling, these constant atmospheric edge pulls are getting stacked.

Hey presto the artifact.

Freddy williams took some under what looked exceptional seeing. Maybe he can confirm, but ill bet the edge pulling effect was very minimal on the exceptional nights.

But Darryl is also right to a degree, as ive noticed untill the scope is cooled properly the optics having a slight heat plume on one side also have a similair effect.

But, and this the important point, even when that heat plume is gone. Im still seeing this edge pull. I might be wrong but thats my take Even Chris go is getting them Peter, but although hes site is exceptional, hes focal length is massive, so exagerating the slight atmospheric pulls, under very high focal length. Think this is your nicest most balanced to date this year.

A good night for you. with excellent processing. You seem to have mastered the RGB work now. Where i noticed in the begining it was less than perfect. Same for me. Though still a bit hit and miss, but far better than my first attempts, through learning more i guess

Archived