Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M101 (my first ever image)

Tohrazer

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I think thats a great image lots of lovely detail in there as well, you could tidy it up with a bit of processing but all the data is there and this is a difficult target in any case so you should be very pleased with it, well done. Never be afraid to post your images we like to see them all the good the bad and the ugly.

Well I think thats a great image lots of lovely detail in there as well, you could tidy it up with a bit of processing but all the data is there and this is a difficult target in any case so you should be very pleased with it, well done. Never be afraid to post your images we like to see them all the good the bad and the ugly.

thanks! i stacked the exposures with maxim but my abilities with it are very basic, as for photoshop etc i am pretty clueless :)

A 17inch telescope wow that's a big beast if you could do some longer exposures you could really pull out the detail even more I would be asking them to let you have another night with it and take longer subs if it can track well enough.

10*30 sec exposures in R/G/B/Clear, 10 darks/flat/bias (10 flats for each filter)

.... 17" Telescope (university observatory i was lucky enough to have access to for a night)

LRGB for a first image :) Impressed much :) Well done indeed, that takes a lot more messing about than a DSLR.

i dont even know what a DSLR is! LRGB is meant to be good then? i struggled getting more than 1 colour to show, the reason i felt bad about posting is it i have seen people with AMAZING pictures with like £2000~ worth of gear, and then i produce that using a $100,000~ facility, so i felt like it was a failure :) thanks alot for the kind comments!

Very good, nothing to be ashamed of at all.. 17" does help, but you've done something right to get what you've got there.

One point to improve that's quick and simple.

If I may I'd suggest looking at your histogram. there should be a peak on the left hand side (describing the 'black' background) it's generally good practice to adjust this so it's a value of about 20 ish on a JPEG/BMP that way the faintest detials don't disappear into blackness. Looking at your image I think the peak of the histogram is on 0 if not slightly negative.

Just a little tweak but it would help it look a little bit better for very little effort.

Derek

i dont even know what a DSLR is! LRGB is meant to be good then? i struggled getting more than 1 colour to show, the reason i felt bad about posting is it i have seen people with AMAZING pictures with like £2000~ worth of gear, and then i produce that using a $100,000~ facility, so i felt like it was a failure :) thanks alot for the kind comments!

A digital single lens reflex camera like my Canon 1000D takes images with all three colours at the same time, so I don't have to combine anything like you do with Luminance (your clear filter) and the individual RGB colour filters. You would normally spend a bit more time on the L image than the RGB and just use those to colour the L. It's a (little bit) more complex method, but generally gives better results because the mono cameras are more sensitive and all the pixels are sampling each colour in turn rather than only a few of them for each colour.

Nice kit helps but you can't simply 'buy' great images. Even with the best kit people have to work for their art (or science or whatever)

I've said it before, but it bears repeating. Don't you just HATE it when a guy says, "my picture is TERRIBLE. . . . " and then uploads something that many of us would DIE to be able to duplicate !

The picture is a bit "grainy" and maybe the color is a bit off, but both of those issues can be handled quite well with good post-processing software. That is all part of the learning curve - - some might even suggest it is the major part !

Keep it up, you are off to a flying start !

Jim S.

Certainly well worth posting and as has been suggested a tweak in Photoshop will help........... here's a quickie deleting the magenta and brightening-up......bit rough and ready but gives an idea of what could be done.

wow!! how did you do that? lol

Well, for a first image, I can assure you there is nothing to be ashamed of...

I can't show you my first image as it was back in 1995, M42 on Ektar 1000 colour film, hand guided with an eyepiece on an OAG...

Anyway, this is a very good start. But as some of us mentionned here, you're hiting the ground running with a pretty tough target...

Well done anyway.;)

Serge

• 3 weeks later...

Archived