Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky at Night vs Astronomy Now

On 26/06/2018 at 12:35, S.A.M said:

Use to buy both of them but now only go for AN.  I have noticed how AN have improved over the years for quality of items they publish, probably with SAN around they had to go forward?

Peter

I still have some of the very first AN mags. Then it was quite clubby but had a charm of it's own, much under the influence of Patrick Moore of course.   

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 25585 said:

I still have some of the very first AN mags. Then it was quite clubby but had a charm of it's own, much under the influence of Patrick Moore of course.   

Was P. Moore involved with Astronomy Now?

Edit: Ahh. thinking about it did you mean SAN ?

On 12/03/2015 at 22:41, mikeDnight said:

I usually buy Astronomy Now, which I think is not a bad mag, but I prefere Sky & Telescope which is a good mag across the board. Though even S & T isn't what it used to be.

Mike

I always used to prefer Sky & Telescope as well...

I like the style, the way the mag was laid and what I consider, very rich and varied content. Of course it's one of the oldest amateur orientated publications. I remember drooling over uber expensive Celestron telescopes in editions back in the 70's.

It used to be available on the shelf in WH Smith until reasonably recently, but since they stopped carrying it I don't read it anymore?

Steve

I never buy any astronomy magazines, just enjoy the free copies that arrive when you get an article or picture published ?

Of course I am slightly biased, but S @ N recently has a great feel about it, a new energy. Chris B the editor has done a great job in getting the right people to write the right articles, and Paul M too in sourcing the most interesting range of gear for review.

We're lucky to have a choice I reckon.

I've been buying AN since the late 90s on a regular basis and have always enjoyed reading it.

If I've already read that months edition I will sometimes buy Astronomy the US publication which is alright. Any port in a storm etc.

Never took to SAN tho.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer Amateur Astronomy. Plenty of back yard telescopes equipment,Observatories and observing. Less of the hype, the professors, NASA, Hubble Images, and rocket scientists. Not that there is anything wrong with the latter of course.....Dave

ColorCover99.jpg

I subscribe to both, and I read them from cover to cover, probably two of three times,

I enjoy both, even though some of the content is the same, the information they provide

for observing is superb for everyone, I can't really say which is better, if you enjoy astronomy

you will enjoy the two of them. 

43 minutes ago, baggywrinkle said:

I read the equipment reviews but often they annoy me with that last bit 'Now add this....' insert, basically an unsubtle advert to flash out more cash.

That'll be the bit the reviewer has no input to then :angel:

Archived