Hello

Matt I

Hello.I wonder if someone could please give me a little advice. I purchased a Skywatcher Dob 200p 8 Inch in December. Have had some fab views of Jupiter,Venus and Mars with the 25mm and 10mm but the 10mm doesn't want to work with a Barlow. Followed the same processes as with the other lenses but no joy. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. Also thinking of buying a 6mm.A good idea or not? :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

welcome mate

the 10mm isn't the best tbh [have same scope and use the skywatcher 7-21mm zoom or the original 25mm] bst explorer eyepieces have a good rep and i think the barlow with the d200p isnt the best either

Kool.Thanks for the advice.Will take a look at those.The Skywatcher 7-21mm sounds interesting. Tbh the Barlow defo improved the 25mm but my knowledge very basic at the moment.All trial and error so far tbh.Thoroughly enjoyable though :)

not yet [only had it about a month] i am on a weeks holiday from next saturday so hopefully get to some dark sites outside glasgow [and hopefully clear nights as well ]will pm when i get new lenses [will prob sell it for £10 including pand p if thats any use ?]

Hi Matt and welcome to SGL, your Dob is a 1200 fL @ at a quite fast f/5.9, with your 10mm ep and presume the 2x barlow, that will take you to something in the order of 240X which is asking quite a lot for your barlow to cope with a steep cone of light, the quality of the optics is also a factor in the equation, as those supplied by the manufacturer, although adequate, do leave a lot to be desired. It is also worth remembering that mags over 200X, unless the conditions are perfect, start to break down due to our average poor seeing in the UK. Before thinking of upgrading you eps I would suggest it is worthwhile reading up what other oculars members have invested in and the various observations that have been made regarding individual lenses and the sets of eyepieces that are available, that go well with your scope :)

John.

Archived