Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finderscope Dilemma

imarcs

I'm in the market for a new finderscope. It has to be a 9x50 finderscope, not an RDF or other similar device. The weight of the finder comes a very close second to performance in terms of importance to me.

I've read Astro Baby's reviews on her website and i'm obviously very strongly drawn towards the Stellarview F50 RACI on performance. However i'm equally if not more put off by the lack of UK dealers, weight (2lbs) and talk of non existent customer support.

Further investigation has led me to discover a few SGL posts discussing the virtues of the Orion 9x50 RACI. So my questions are as follows.

1.Is there anything else i should be considering aside from the ones reviewed on AB's site?

2. If i do go for the Orion, is the illuminated reticule version worthwhile? Are the crosshairs visible ok? for comparison i have no problem seeing the ones on my skywatcher 9x50 RACI

Thanks in advance for anyones help.

PS - if you read this, thanks already to Astro-Baby. :p

I currently use an Orion RACI 9x50 (non-illuminated) on my 200P, it is a good finderscope, but, I have also had the SkyWatcher version previously and to be honest I can't see much difference between the two! The crosshairs are mayby slightly more evident on the Orion, but not by much!

Doc

I currently use an Orion RACI 9x50 (non-illuminated) on my 200P, it is a good finderscope, but, I have also had the SkyWatcher version previously and to be honest I can't see much difference between the two! The crosshairs are mayby slightly more evident on the Orion, but not by much!

Doc

Thanks - Do they differ much in size? I have a skywatcher and to be fair the Orion looks a fair bit smaller in Pics, but its hard to tell without seeing them in the flesh.

I have an Orion 9x50 RACI and a Skywatcher one. The look just the same apart from the colour scheme. A lot of Orion (USA) stuff is made by Synta who also own Skywatcher and make their stuff.

I have an Orion 9x50 RACI and a Skywatcher one. The look just the same apart from the colour scheme. A lot of Orion (USA) stuff is made by Synta who also own Skywatcher and make their stuff.

Thanks John, so i'm guessing, that you would concur with Space Beagles comments on the performance , ie they're the same

I have a SW9x50 RACI finder and it's very nice. My brother in law has the Orion and apart from the colour scheme, they are the same.

An illuminated cross-hair sounds very useful though. I often struggle to see the cross-hairs on dark nights.

Archived