Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I Forsee A Lot Of 31mm Nags For Sale!

Damo636

Looks nice, but am rather attached to my 31mm nag so can't see it going anywhere in a hurry :p

Perhaps in larger scopes the smaller exit pupil may be of benefit. I mainly use mine in my 106mm apo where it works perfectly

Cheers

Stu

I'll stick with my 31mm "Terminagler". Tele Vue have stated that going beyond 21mm in the 2" 100 degree format would require some optical compromises that they are not prepared to make. I believe them and don't want to be paying that sort of money for compromises. Plus the N31 is heavy enough at 2.2lb - the ES25100 is 2.5lbs.

I'd like to see some reviews first before passing judgement. As John says above, Televue said they weren't going to produce an Ethos longer than 21mm because it introduced too many design compromises, so either ES have done something extraordinary with the 25mm, or it's a bit of a gimmick.

The beauty of the 31mm terminagler is the flat, sharp field right up to the field stop even in fast scopes, and that's not something you give up easily just for a wider afov.

I suspect the first ES25mm reviews will mention vignetting, softness at the edges, etc., but maybe not. It'll be interesting to see!

Alan

I can however see a few situations where one might trade in their 31mm naglers for an ES 25mm: Here is one:

Your wife has left you as you spend more time staring at the sky than at her. Moreover she is so bitter about it, she has fleeced you for every penny and taken the furniture too. You have sold EVERYTHING to service an expensive lawers bill....except one thing. Your prized nagler. Deciding that you can't even pay the bills or feed yourself you need to keep your only comfort in life.....astronomy, otherwise depression will set in. So you elect to sell your second hand 31mm nagler (approx value £12,389 second hand) and buy the 25mm ESand have plenty money left over to pay for necessities.

Marco.

Archived