Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Grab'Go APO

Having sold a couple of scopes to pay for some other expenses I found myself without a small grab'n'go APO and had placed an order with FLO for one of the new William Optics ZS70 2012 scopes but due to urgent family matters had to cancel the order. Now things are now getting straightened out and I can think about going ahead with an order for a new small grab'n'go scope that's not too expensive. But should I go ahead with the ZS70 or one of the 80mm ED scopes? :p

As it's really only for visual use and has to be small and fairly lightweight the ZS70 appeals and it has an R&P focuser, but something like the Ikharos 80ED isn't that big and would be more capable. The Starwave 80ED is also a possibility but as it's for visual I don't really need a 3" focuser and it adds extra weight.

So

William Optics ZS70 2012

or

Ikharos 80 ED

or

Starwave 80 ED

John

post-14522-133877738186_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877738188_thumb.jpg

post-14522-13387773819_thumb.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't fancy another of those Revelation ED scopes, John? Or would that be too big? The ikharos looks nice and compact for an 80mm. The WO looks too "funky" for me! Don't know if I'd keep it long.

Why don't you wait and see what pops up on the second-hand front? Some nice wee scopes appearing the last few weeks...

Ant

The Rev 100 is a lot heavier than one of the 80EDs so I decided 80mm is the max.

The Astro-Professional 80ED is the same as the Ikharos 80ED except it comes with a WO type mounting foot instead of rings so it's lighter. In fact the AP 80ED is only 2.25 kg and the ZS70 is 2.2kg.

I think I may be seriously considering the AP 80ED now as it's as light as the ZS70 and a bit cheaper. While it doesn't have a R&P focuser it is a 2" focuser.

John

BTW they also do it in carbon fibre but more £££

post-14522-133877738223_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877738225_thumb.jpg

The spec for that A-P scope looks very good on the website. They say the focuser is "high end and absolutely suitable for astrophotography" and the whole thing comes in a nice case. Can't find a price though... ah yes - 375EU at TS. Very nice!

Ant

We're calling Astro Professional 'AP' now? That was a clever bit of marketing on their part!!

So many good little Apos out there. I doubt you'd tell them apart without looking at the scope rather than through it. My own small instrument is a very old Pronto. It's impeccabe, really lovely, but it weighs about the same as a medium sized Ritchey Chretien...

Olly

We're calling Astro Professional 'AP' now? That was a clever bit of marketing on their part!!

So many good little Apos out there. I doubt you'd tell them apart without looking at the scope rather than through it. My own small instrument is a very old Pronto. It's impeccabe, really lovely, but it weighs about the same as a medium sized Ritchey Chretien...

Olly

I wonder if I should post this on Cloudynights then. :p

As mentioned it would only be for visual but came across a couple of images taken with an Astro-Profesional 80ED (80/560).

John

post-14522-133877738277_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877738285_thumb.jpg

I have also been thinking about an apo for grab and go set up. Possibly some astrophotography on a tracking mount in the future. Which mount we you thinking of using with the Astro professional ed80 John? Also does anyone know which travel case TS express sell would be applicable for this scope?

Thanks

It would be used mainly on the Manfrotto 475 tripod with modded 405 geared alt-az head. Although my modded Skytee 2 mount with Synscan will come in handy if I want tracking.

TS do show a suitable case lower down on the page for the Astro-Professional 80ED.

Here's a photo of the 475/405 set-up with a 102mm f/11 mounted on it. Pushing the limits of the mount a bit but still just good enough to be usable.

John

post-14522-133877738376_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the advice.

Forgive my newbieness but how does a reducer work to speed up the focal ratio of the scope? and why aren't they built into the scopes themselves? and do you need one for a grab and go visual set up?

I found a Uk astro shop that sells them: http://www.startelescopes.co.uk/Telescopes/astroprofessiona.html

But you don't seem to be able to buy just the OTA like TS express. It appears to be the OTA, red dot finder, aluminium case, tube rings and dovetail for £450

Made up my mind and have ordered the Ikharos 80 ED f/7 which I thought was the most suitable for the purpose. A fairly inexpensive light grab'n'go scope for visual use.

The Astro-Professional is the same scope except for the CNC tube rings and hence a bit lighter, but also a bit more expensive. While the WO ZS70 2012 is a nice little scope with a R&P focuser, it's hardly any lighter than the 80ED and less aperture.

Should get it on Thursday. :p

John

post-14522-13387773865_thumb.jpg

They have been taken off the website ;)

Yep, sold out and not restocking. Don't know anyone else who is, so looks like anyone who wanted one and not got one has missed the boat. They are replacing it with the Starwave. Same scope pretty much, but with a 3" Crayford instead of 2".

Now the Ikharos is no longer available (left it too late...), which of the following would you guys pick? As with the OP, I'm after grab and go, visual mainly but a good starter scope for imaging/AP.

Skywatcher Equinox 80 Apo Pro

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Equinox 80 APO PRO OTA

WO ZS80 II DDG

William Optics's William Optics ZS80II DDG from Ian King Imaging

TSApo 805

TS APO 80/500mm - Farbreines FPL53 Objektiv - 2' Linear Power

Or finally

Astro-Professional ED 80

Astro Professional ED 80/560mm - FLAT-FIELD - Deluxe Version

And what mount for greatest protability?

Cheers!

Although the Ikharos 80 is no longer available the Starwave 80 that's replacing it is exactly the same scope expect for the 3" focuser.

The Equinox 80 and the TS 80/500 are pretty much the same but the one thing I don't like abut the Equinox is that horrible locking ring for the rotating focuser. The TS has the conventional locking thumbscrew that works properly. BTW although the optics have the same specs they're actually made by different factories.

The WO ZS80 II DDG and Astro-Professional ED 80 are also similar although as the ZS80 is a bit faster that would be better for AP.

One other scope to consider is the Opticstar ED80S FPL-53.

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Telescopes-Ascension.asp?p=0_10_1_6_550

While it's not got a rotating focuser that's because the focuser is screwed directly onto the tube which should reduce flexing slightly which would help with AP.

Which type of mount are you thinking of? An EQ mount which you'd really need for any serious AP or a lighter weight Alt-Az mount for now. Remember for AP you don't want to cut corners on the mount as that will be the most important part of your set-up.

John

Thanks John,

I'll look at the Starwave 80 again. Thanks for link to the Opticstar ED80S FPL-53 - so many options to consider!

I was thinking of a light mount like a vixen porta type for portability - fancy being able to take the new scope/mount on holiday, or even next time I'm off to Scotland for work (often have to got to Dumfries and Galloway, or soemtimes the Highlands for a few days at a tme).

I plan to get some motors and upgrade my EQ5 in the short term so see if I can get on with AP stuff. Long term, I'll save for an NEQ6 or similar if I get into AP seriously.

Cheers!

Archived