NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

modding my canon 350d

Quatermass

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lovely jubbly :D Well done - great stuff :( I have an Astronomik CLS-CCD clip filter on it's way to me and when that comes I shall be doing my 1100D.

I've been thinking that it both filters are coming out and nothing going back, it is necessary to put the black plastic frame back (that the filters were in). Because if not, frame and filters could be left out without bothering to take the filters out of the frame. Anyone know?

Hooray all done and its working.

That was not fun to do but its not that hard really. Make sure you have a very good screw driver as some screws were a bit tight. Good scalpel blade and pair of tweezers very good lighting and a magnifying glass helps. Practise your soldering first as your going to need to remove it and put it back on again. Carefully label all the screws and put in little bags or envelopes and be very very gentle when undoing the ribbon cables break one and your stuffed. Many thanks to the 12dstring website for showing how to do it.

5acb5fa8-c15e-fb90.jpg

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Hi Gina

the worst bit is putting back the ribbon cables without a doubt you will need twizzers and a tooth pick and a good light source I used an led head torch to shine a strong light right in there when your working. Be very gentle and dont force any thing. Work on a big table with space to but all your screws down. I put them in little bags numbering them in order that really helped when putting it all back. Taking it apart and getting the filter out was easy putting it all back was harder so be ready for that. Also make sure you get a really good philipps screw driver with a good rubber handle so you can apply pressure on some of the tighter screws. Those cheapo jewelers screw drivers are not good enough and theres a lot of screws

Hope thats some help to you and wishing you a succesful mod :D

Wel done mate, you beat me to it. I'm just gertting the stuff out to do my 1000D tonight.

Good luck Spikey hope it all goes smoothly. I will be out taking subs of the rosette again to test it out if them clouds bug off.

:(

Having done two mods, I'd just echo:

- make sure you have a toothpick!!

- don't force anything. I vaguely remember trying to yank a ribbon out when all it needed was gentle side-to-side swaying. If you are having to apply a lot of pressure, it could be you missed a step (go back and check) or are going in the wrong direction like I was!

:D

Hi Gina

the worst bit is putting back the ribbon cables without a doubt you will need twizzers and a tooth pick and a good light source I used an led head torch to shine a strong light right in there when your working. Be very gentle and dont force any thing. Work on a big table with space to but all your screws down. I put them in little bags numbering them in order that really helped when putting it all back. Taking it apart and getting the filter out was easy putting it all back was harder so be ready for that. Also make sure you get a really good philipps screw driver with a good rubber handle so you can apply pressure on some of the tighter screws. Those cheapo jewelers screw drivers are not good enough and theres a lot of screws

Hope thats some help to you and wishing you a succesful mod :)

Hi Gina

Hope thats some help to you and wishing you a succesful mod :D

Thank you :( Yes, that is helpful. Although most of it is covered by Gary Honis's instructions, a rubber handled screwdriver is a good point. I have a jeweller's set but something of better quality with better handles would well be worth getting I feel. They as Philips rather than Pozidrive screws then - I've not seen this covered anywhere else I don't think. Are they all the same size or of several different sizes?

I did mine last night too, worked first time, at least I assume it all works, it takes photos and auto zooms etc and display works and menus etc so fingers crossed. I got a bit of black silicon on the new filter as I bedded it in, came off ok when dry, don't try to get if off while still sticky otherwise you have a mess over your filter (assuming you put an astro filter in and did not just remove the existing one).

Still a pain to clean the new filter, some lens cleaner would have been a good idea but I didn't have any.

And yes, those darn ribbon cables are a pig, I was convinced I would have to go back in and redo one or two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, I took delivery of a 450D this week. Now I just need to summon the bottle to take it apart. I think I might spend a bit of time using it as is before I do. I also find myself tempted by a long focal length lens, but I think that can wait for a while, too.

James

The screws were all the same for the size screw driver but some are longer wider or shorter so be sure to make notes of were each one goes.

Thanks :D Yes, I know they are different lengths but didn't know if it needed more than one size of screwdriver.

EDIT... Could you tell me which size of screwdriver is required?

Thank you :( I've got a Drapers set as well :D Did have some others but although they had good handles, I found the blades turned in the handles if you tried to use too much torque. The Draper ones are too thin in the shank - not enough grip.

Archived