NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

modding my canon 350d

Quatermass

Well done QM, I can't wait to see the difference.

I'm a little way off modding right now. I need to get another dslr first.In a few months time I will start looking for either a 450D or a 1000D. I don't think these need soldering to mod. Will be interesting how you get on without any filters, just the raw sensor.....

Stan :D

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Stan

It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be to but it was still a long job 5 hours in fact. I went on astronomisers website and this is what they say on there about filter removal or removal and replacement so as I am using a newt I just went for the filter removal. Now running my subs from tonight through deep sky stacker and will post when there finished but it does make a big difference.

Filter change vs filter removal...

The replacement filter is the same thickness as the removed filter so auto-focus will still operate correctly after the filter is replaced and the camera can still be used for normal photography, but if you intend to use the camera exclusively for astronomy, then this isn't an issue.

If you add or remove any amount of glass between a lens and the sensor then the auto focus will not operate correctly.

Refractors - even the best apo-chromatic refractors - do not bring IR and UV to focus at the same point as visible light so another advantage of the filter change is that IR and UV are still blocked with a very sharp cut off into the visible light region and therefore stars won't be blobby and bloated by out of focus UV and IR light. If you use the camera exclusively with a newtonian (without reducers etc) then this won't be a problem, but if you go for filter removal only and use the camera with a refractor then you will also need a UV/IR blocking filter.

Archived