NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

what should I be able to see with a 100mm Refractor

..Just wondered about this. I have been observing Jupiter and moons and can just about make out faint bands on Jupiter. I have some naff lenses, an H20 and a K12.5. oddly enough the k12.5 gives a more magnified view. I thought a 20 mm would increase magnification??? It doesn't appear to.

Pretty dissapointed with Andromeda as very faint so I am not expecting anything deep space as it seems too slow. What lenses would suit a slow old 60's refractor to make things more worthwhile?

The higher the number in mm on the eyepiece, the lower the magnification. What scope do you have ?. I'm asking because we need to know if it will take 1.25" eyepieces.

A refractor with a 100mm objective lens can show some nice detail on Jupiter under good conditions, with decent eyepieces. The Andromeda galaxy won't appear as more than an oval smudge though.

Edited by John

Hi John,

OK not sure what make it is. Have al ook at my first thread "newbie and refractor advice needed." (or something like that) posted last Friday.

A ha the lower the number the greater the magnification,. I use an adaptor ring which fits lenses in the focus tube.

The amount of magnification is the focal length of the telescope divided by the focal length of the eyepiece.

For example, my 100mm refractor has a focal length of 900mm.

A 10mm eyepiece would give 900/10 = 90x magnification.

A 20mm eyepiece would give 900/20 = 45x magnification.

So as John says, the higher the eyepiece number, the lower the magnification.

In our 100mm we love looking at the planets, splitting some double stars, looking at the moon, some of the brighter DSOs like the Orion Nebula - especially the trapezium stars - and some of the brighter clusters like the Beehive and Double Cluster.

That looks like a nice old English refractor :D

It's hard to tell from the photo - will the focuser tube take 1.25" eyepieces or is it restricted to the .965" types ?.

Also you would find a 90 degree diagonal makes viewing easier. You can get one that converts a .965" scope into a 1.25" one which is very useful as you cannot get .965" eyepieces easily any more.

With 100mm from a dark site you can see most the messier objects, loads of double stars even with quite small separations not to mention lunar, planetary and solar astronomy (with the correct filtration)

There was a famous astronomer (modern day) who only used a 4" telescope for all his viewing but because he trained his eye to detect detail under dark skies he was able to excel. (having brain freeze, can't remember his name....)

Edited by MjrTom

With 100mm from a dark site you can see most the messier objects, loads of double stars even with quite small separations not to mention lunar, planetary and solar astronomy (with the correct filtration)

There was a famous astronomer (modern day) who only used a 4" telescope for all his viewing but because he trained his eye to detect detail under dark skies he was able to excel. (having brain freeze, can't remember his name....)

Stephen James O'Meara?

He can see an astonishing amount with his 4" TV frac. Mind you he's observing from a pretty good site.:D

Just shows the value of getting to dark skies.

Regards Steve

To give you some degree of perspective, Charles Messier did most of his work, when he created his lists of objects to avoid, with only a refractor of some 3/4" bigger objective than yours, and the quality of Glass would not be in the same ballpark, but he would have had nice dark skies. If your interest lies with Planets, double stars etc, then a good Orthoscopic ep would serve you well, something in the Circle T or better, the Badder Orthoscopic MC range, these often appear on the s/h market and you should see a major difference compared to the H ( Huygen ) and K ( Kellner ) eps you have, or for general work or some good quality Plossls in various powers :D

Hi casemonster. I remember this scope from last week. Glad to see you got it working. What was the issue with it?

BTW.................what is the focal length of this scope (how long is it from tip to tip?).

1500mm???????

I have a 90mm refractor with 1000mm focal length (F11). For planets i find a 8-9mm EP brilliant.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Hi Luke(?)

It was quite simple really, Have a look at the previous picture and now look at this one. There was a inner tube which had been pushed in for transit, when I picked it up at the boot fair. I was trying to remove the ineer ring to bodge a 9" extension tube when the ring twisted out with a brass extension tube attached!!:D

Ok, do I measure the focal length from the ojective lens to the point of focus and add on a bit for the diagonal?

post-33728-133877737227_thumb.jpg

post-33728-133877737234_thumb.jpg

• 9 years later...
On 24/02/2012 at 00:51, MjrTom said:

Didn't Messier do most of his work with a 4" refractor?