NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ED Refractors

Hi guys,

Just a quick question:confused:

Is it the general consensus that an 80mm or 100mm ED refractor is best used on a good eq mount or piggybacked on a larger scope are best for DSO astrophotography?

If so thru seem to be a very reasonable price.

:D

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you not have to use focal reducers with the 80ED though ??

May be nicer but not 100% necessary. A flattener may be more useful, mostly you get a flattener+reducer but SW do a flattener only.

The other factor is that the reducers are often a significant cost.

May be nicer but not 100% necessary. A flattener may be more useful, mostly you get a flattener+reducer but SW do a flattener only.

The other factor is that the reducers are often a significant cost.

Sorry for the hi-jack. You do need them for imaging though don't you ?? and flatteners are an advantage for visual ??

Right I've decided that DSO imaging us what I want to do. I already have a Telescope for visual observation (or rather, my girlfriend does :D )

Can I have all recommendations please of a good ED Refractor/Mount combo please?

I will be using a Canon EOS 40D our my Sony DSLR camera body with it.

Will prime focus be better or eyepiece projection?

Thanks guys :(

HEQ5, ED80 with a T ring & x0.8 reducer for a nice fast f ratio, stick a Skywatcher ST80 & guidecam on there and you are set up for some serious imaging.

Right I've decided that DSO imaging us what I want to do. I already have a Telescope for visual observation (or rather, my girlfriend does :D )

Can I have all recommendations please of a good ED Refractor/Mount combo please?

I will be using a Canon EOS 40D our my Sony DSLR camera body with it.

Will prime focus be better or eyepiece projection?

Thanks guys :(

Thanks for the advice John. Been looking at the Heq 5. Would it be a bit overkill tho for the scope? Wouldn't a cheaper goto be ok like the Skywatcher eq3 or the Celestron eq5?

When it comes to imaging you really don't want to skimp on the mount. It's the single most important component.. think of it as the foundations. It needs to be as stable as you can get. I use the neq6 with the ED80 + SW .85 reducer/flattener. Great setup with a flat field out to the edge with DSLR.

jon get this book first before you buy anything it will tell you what you need to buy and more importantly why. The basics of imaging are a solid accurate mount (nothing below heq5 is really accurate enough for imaging) a fast scope. apparture isn't so important because long exposure compensates for apparture. It boils down to with visual astronomy it's all about the optics with imaging it's all about the mount (simplification but essentially true)

forgot book link

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Yep, consider the HEQ5 the minimum, it not only handles a heavier payload but had much more accurate tracking - which is essential for imaging. Buy the best mount you can afford - get the EQ6 if you have the cash!

ED80 would be the best bet for photography. Use an ST80 as a Guide scope. I have an Ikharus ED80, super budget priced Ed. There's a couple of user reviews on this and their 102 ED and all are favourable. Also Consider the SW 80ED, a lttle more expensive but very nice, almost got one myself till I spotted the Ik.

And as has been said by many on here, HEQ5 minimum mount for photography really is the minimum for anything above and 80mm scope.

Although saying that I have a CG5 GT Goto and that is ample enough for my 80ED

If you are going down the ED/AP route, SW provide a dedicated reducer/flattener for their range of scopes from 80 through to 120, and through the good services of FLO you are now able to adapt these to the Celestron Ed types, as they screw into the end of the focuser. If you really want to guild the Lilly, then consider a s/h Losmandy GM8, superb quality and tracking with an instrument carry weight of 30 lbs :D

The HEQ5 is a different beast to the EQ5 - I have owned both.

The HEQ5 is much more sturdy, accurate and can handle a heavier payload. I wouldn't recommend the EQ5 for imaging.

Look for a second hand HEQ5 if your budget won't stretch, or get the Syntrek version and you can connect your laptop to it & control it via planetarium software - no need for GOTO!

Is the celestron eq5 goto mount any good?

The spec is good on it and it has a guideport and boasts 2" tripod legs. I've heard these being used for ap.

It's also only £525 or something like that.

It's not as good for imaging as the heq5 if you want to do any serious imaging it really is the minimum mount. if you want to dabble you can image on a cg5gt, it's not as good, it's not as easy but you can get some product out of this mount.

Archived