Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dark sky spot near Reading

en51nm

Hi!

After a very frustrating night last night, I'm determined to make the most of the clear skies and get out this evening!

If there's anyone in the Reading, UK area who knows of a good, safe, dark sky location that's no more than an hour or so away from Reading, please let it be known!!

On this note, if there's anyone else in the Reading area who wants to meet at an observing spot this evening, message me or give me a text: 07955612880

Cheers,

Nick

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Nick - looking at my maps I think you need to be heading out of Reading on the M4 towards Hungerford - get off at Junction 14 then head North towards Wantage but don't go as far as Wantage. Somewhere along that road if you can pull off should be a relatively good area according to the dark sky map I have - for really dark skies you might want to plan a day out - perhaps somewhere West of Salisbury - the Cranbourne Chase and West Wiltshire Downs looks your best bet - theres good roads to get there and at 5.25 to 5.5 out of 6 in the dark sky maps so should be terrific viewing.

Might be worth a drive out in the day sometime to check the areas if you don't already know them - remember to keep safe - take a friend for the first time until you get a feel for the place if you can

Good luck with your hunting anyway

Steve

Not been back to Reading for quite some time now, but I used to live in Sindlesham. The areas south of the M4 around Burghfield Common might be worth a look as might the Kingsclere area. I was wondering about Cold Ash and Buckleberry, but with Thatcham to the south I'd guess they're not so great. The area south of Swallowfield might be worth investigating, too, down between Riseley and Eversley, perhaps?

Going a bit further out, somewhere out on the Ridgeway south of Didcot or Wantage might be worth a look, or if you really fancy putting the wind up yourself there's always Combe Gibbet, near Inkpen :)

James

It's probably not far enough out but I know just south of the m4 in lower earley (the big asda complex etc) theres lots of fields - I live in Sibly halls 5 minutes away form the asda and have walked through the woodland and fields a few times. It looks to me like from that point onwards going south theres not another town for quite a few miles so I reckon it'd be a good spot.

Saying that I had to stop driving for Uni and I don't fancy lugging my heq5 and 200p all that way by foot!

Not long ago I went for a walk in the area highlighted by rightguard.

I was there during daylight so I'm not sure if there are any offending lights around but decided a good place might be where I drawn in the arrow below. Rigth by the road, easy to park and good views in all directions.

fields.jpg

Can't beat local knowledge, chaps :( I might head out there later with a pair of bins.

Looking further afield, google maps seems to be representing the area just west of Highclere as lots of fields, albeit with Andover somewhat south. Might be worth further investigation, but I really don't know the area at all.

Incidentally, I was down that way late one clear night (didn't even have the bins with me!) and looking north and south out of the car window, evening hurtling along the A303 was quite a sight, so much different from here, until approaching Andover and then it just starts orange glowing all the way :)

Just to let you know, I ended up staying at home and doing some stuff in the garden! Had a problem with my webcam so though it wasn't really worth the journey in the end.

I'm still very keen to get out to a dark sky site next time the conditions are good - I might try to organise something through Newbury or Reading Astro Soc.

Not long ago I went for a walk in the area highlighted by rightguard.

I was there during daylight so I'm not sure if there are any offending lights around but decided a good place might be where I drawn in the arrow below. Rigth by the road, easy to park and good views in all directions.

fields.jpg

On this map, Where you see Bearwood Golf Course. Directly opposite is a road called Park Lane Corner. Turn into that lane and I live about 600 or so yards down there. Pitch black most nights when it is clear.

My garden area is quite small with some 6ft high fencing. South, East and West are trees, but they are a a little distance away so you can see over them easily. South West is fine, as is North above my bungalow. As a result I can only set up a couple of scopes as space is limited.

However my next door neighbours garden is big, and I can make use of it as he doesn't mind. I could probably invite a couple of guys to set up and view for an evening or two with some notice.

Views to the West and North are good, views to South and East are good above the treelines but you won't see anything just above the horizon because of the aformentioned trees.

The advantage is, if it gets too cold, we are 10 yards from coffee and biscuits and you can see the equipment from my patio decking

Hey there, I'm in Reading also (twyford)

I've only ventured out of my back garden once in the few months I've been into astronomy, and that was up to a hill south of Didcot,

51.555301,-1.311493 - Google Maps

I found it throught the Abingdon Astronomical Society website, it's a 45 minute drive from mine, and the skys are significantly better than my back garden. There is a carpark at the top which makes it the perfect spot to drive up and set up out of the boot of the car :)

I spent the evening imaging, and the reduction in light pollution meant I could tripple the lengh of my exposures ! :( It's very cold and windy up there tho ! next time I'll take a wind break.

Sounds like there are a couple of options then!

I like the idea of Hill to the south of Didcot, just have to hope it's not windy I guess!

Perhaps we should arrange to go there next time the skies are clear? Hopefully I will have sorted my webcam issues out by then!

I must be lucky then as I don't need to venture outside of my garden. 3 houses next to each other, and 2 more a short dustance away, then nothing, just farmland. Also the treeline means I'm sheltered from any icy blasts.

I must be lucky then as I don't need to venture outside of my garden. 3 houses next to each other, and 2 more a short dustance away, then nothing, just farmland. Also the treeline means I'm sheltered from any icy blasts.

I'm totally jealous, we're in between two schools which are lit up like Christmas Trees during the night, and Hampshire Council have put in these new street lights which are ridiculously bright, we have one of those at the end of our garden which makes any observing at our house impossible. Luckily there are some good dark spots just to the south of Basingstoke. :D

The ridge way area to the south of East Hendred is pretty good in my opinion for the area, I've not managed to get my scope there at a non cloudy time yet, but it certainly seems great with the naked eye. The top of the ridgeway can indeed be very windy though.

I think Reading astro soc used to use Dinton pastures so that might be worth checking out and I've seen others writing about observing at Britwell Salome which is North of Reading.

http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/175226-help-required-near-witney-oxfordshire.html

Tyr

Sadly, got stuck at work until really late and to top it off had to switch into early shift today, but the sky was looking great on the way home.... I must have been like a dog with nose to glass :p

I'd be interested in any company, and will travel reasonable driving distance if the results are worth it. I can get OK planetary from here but anything else is a challenge with the local school and one of my neighbours lighting up the area like they dropped a 10ct diamond :)

TBH I don't get out as much as I'd like, work has been a constant struggle the past few months, but feeling lucky I have a job :D

The longer summer days are coming...

I used to live in Didcot, and could never understand why the Abingdon Society used the Ridgeway crossing at Bury Lane because you get a lot of light pollution from the Harwell complex below. I used to go on to West Ilsley, turning right at the foot of Bury Lane then left past the cricket pitch towards the woods at High Robins. Less than 3 miles farther on and right out in the sticks. Just before you get to the hamlet of Catmore there's a public footpath on the left where gthere's plenty of room to set up. HTH - Hugh

Archived