Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark sky spot near Reading

en51nm

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While we are at it, there is a good west view over the far horizon from Riseley alongside the A33, of all places. Its where I'll be going to observer for the comet. Its on a minor road though.

Where are other folks going for a good view ?

OK that's good to hear. Any idea when their next meet is?

Should be sometime soon, it's a month since the last one. If you sign up at the site I linked, they'll kick out an email for the next one.

Binfield Heath was surprising dark - compared to Reading at least. Or at least as dark as being by a pub can be expected to be! Still, I think the thinking was that you can do some observing, or if there is cloud, drink beer and have a good conversation (and last month's was - wide ranging, to say the least).

It is odd that the RAS seems to play down the observing bit so much. I mean, I get the wanting to keep the place private, that's fair enough, but I'd've made a little more noise about "we go out and look at stuff!" Still, I'll be interested to meet them, and I'd have no problem with joining up. And like I say, their next talk grabs my interest.

Regarding the comet - I'm still trying to figure that one out. Riseley could be quite convenient, if you fancied a rendezvous. I pretty much live on the A33. I'm guessing I'll need something to plonk the mini-dob on to point it at something near the horizon though. Hmm. This might need a little thought. Might also have to be girlfriend permitting, too...

I occasionally work down in Reading (have an office there) and travel from there to visit my father in Emsworth and I have noticed the area between Alton and Selbourne on the B3006 is extremely dark. Looking at Farley Hill according to OS maps there is a public footpath on the perimeter of the Cricket club ground so might be worth taking a look to see if there is any space to setup, the entrance looks a bit overgrown on google maps but it goes cut out across the field and I doubt its used much. Not sure about parking though if I get a chance I will drive past. I have camped in Wellington Country Park in October and the sky south is okay.

While we are at it, there is a good west view over the far horizon from Riseley alongside the A33, of all places. Its where I'll be going to observer for the comet. Its on a minor road though.

Here's a google maps link.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?ftid=0x48769cfde03fc9a1:0x8cedfde1d346c8b9&q=51.388146,-0.984006&ved=0CA0Q-gswAA&sa=X&ei=z4g7UdO2F6K7iwbQ4oHQCw

One of the darkest areas West of Reading is South of Hungerford, near Shalbourne.

The gliding club at Rivar Hill may be a good site but it would be polite to contact them first.

It's a lovely spot, with nice pubs in Shalbourne and Ham when the weather is no good.

Chris

I'm gonna take a little drive out to the above google map link tonight with me bins to See if I can see anything. Seems to be quite a bit of broken cloud around at the moment in crowthorne.

One of the darkest areas West of Reading is South of Hungerford, near Shalbourne.

The gliding club at Rivar Hill may be a good site but it would be polite to contact them first.

It's a lovely spot, with nice pubs in Shalbourne and Ham when the weather is no good.

Chris

That looks am interesting site. Do you know if people have observed from there before after organising with the site owners?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I'm gonna take a little drive out to the above google map link tonight with me bins to See if I can see anything. Seems to be quite a bit of broken cloud around at the moment in crowthorne.

Its cloudy in south east reading at the moment. Too much to see anything I reckon.

I went for a drive around grazeley, risley, stratified Mortimer, yew tree lane off A33 etc lastnight. Blimey its dark round there. The stars were out between the clouds. Need to do a day time trip now really, just to find somewhere safe to pull up.

I went for a drive around grazeley, risley, stratified Mortimer, yew tree lane off A33 etc lastnight. Blimey its dark round there. The stars were out between the clouds. Need to do a day time trip now really, just to find somewhere safe to pull up.

Sounds good let us know how you get on, that's only 20mins from me.

Be interested to hear if you find somewhere suitable.

Yep, I've been trying to do the same a bit - driving around looking for somewhere dark, safe to stop, and just plain safe. Not had much luck yet, but I've not really tried off the A33 yet. In fact, I just need to try further afield from Reading, I think (shining beacon that it is!)

Can't imagine even the odd car is going to do much for your dark adaptation though, never mind it not being particularly relaxing or potentially safe for that matter.

There's probably better places off the burghfield road I'd have thought.

• 2 years later...

Appreciate this thread is 2 years old but I read every post in my search for a suitable site - so thanks for all contributions!

I live in central reading and I am just starting out, suffice to say I can see nearly nothing from my backyard.

Yesterday I drove out to "wokefield park" hotel/golfcourse between Grazely and Mortimer, south of Reading. You can park at the conference centre/hotel and walk out a bit onto the golf course area. Sky is significantly better than central reading but the views towards the horizon are challenged by trees in most directions. N/NE is especially challenging due to Reading/London. South & West views were pretty good, and I got a nice look at saturn. Unfortunately the conference centre has an extremely bright security light which doesnt help things so i probably wont visit again.

Archived