Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What Telescope for £300

Hi,

Good to be here.

What is the best telescope to buy for around £300?

I don't think I want a refractor; unless someone can convince me otherwise, nor do I want a doby (bad back), so I suppose what I'm looking for is advice on whats the best for the money in the reflector market.

Having read some very good articles in the media and on this site about mirrors, I think I will elect to go for a parabolic.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards

DC

If you have a budget of £300. You can't go wrong with a 200p dob First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

If you are worried about weight, a dob is only a reflector OTA on a chipboard dob base, so it should be lighter than other reflectors of the same aperature + mount.

If you still don't want a dob. Consider this 150p on EQ3-2

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2 / EQ3 PRO GOTO

I would have thought an 8" dob ideal for someone with a bad back. The eyepiece is at a nice height to view through when seated. A reflector on an EQ mount will be nowhere near as easy on the back.

I've got a bad back (had a piece of my spine removed last year) and still have lumbar issues. I've also got a 200P dob and I can move it out onto my patio in one go. If I had to take it further I'd move the mount and the OTA seperately.

I think a 200P Dob would be quite suitable if you've got a bad back. If you're worried about carrying it due to the weight then it's not too difficult if you take the base and 'scope separately. It only takes a few seconds to detach and put back together.

Alternatively, the Explorer 150P is a nice 'scope.

Many thanks for the replies.

What are the benefits of a 200p doby over the 150p EQ-2?

I understand the 150p can be fitted with a motor, but is the 200p doby a manual only movement? I ask because as a newbie I would prefer to find the objects easier than training the doby around aimlessly until I find an object and then still not being sure what I was looking at - well I think you can gather what I'm on about - hopefully.

Sorry about the questions, but I just want to make sure I get the right scope.

You may have a budget of £300 but that doesn;t mean you have to spend every penny. Get the Skyliner 150p Dob. This will not break your back and the money left over to buy odds and sods which are always a factor.

I understand the 150p can be fitted with a motor, but is the 200p doby a manual only movement? I ask because as a newbie I would prefer to find the objects easier than training the doby around aimlessly until I find an object and then still not being sure what I was looking at - well I think you can gather what I'm on about - hopefully.

With both setups you still have to find the desired object manually. A Ra motor can be fitted to the EQ mount to track the object once its found. The dob is nudged along manually.

I got my 150P in December and absolutely love it.

It's perfectly good on planets with a barlow and webcam, but fast enough for DSO imaging with a tracking motor.

It's a nice all-rounder and even though I'll probably replace the mount soon, I'm sure I'll be using this scope for a long time.

Badgers

77% more light gathering ability, simple and intuitive mount, F6 so tolerant of cheaper eyepieces and it holds collimation well.

Aids to finding targets include star charts, free software such as Stellarium and books like Turn Left at Orion.

The EQ2 is not a GOTO mount, so you'll have to find object manually. In addition, you will need to learn how to use an equatorial mount, which may not be intuitive. The motor on the EQ2 only rotate the scope to counteract the Earth's rotation, it doens't help in anyway for locating objects.

If you want a scope that will find objects for you, you need to look for the word 'GOTO'. For your budget, You should consider this 130p Az GOTO

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO

You are trading optical and mechanical quality for the computerised system.

Do you have a pair of binocular. I'd recommend getting a pair of 10x50 first and learn your way around the sky before spending on a telescope.

I have a bad back and suffer with fibromyalgia too which stops me walking far or moving around much. I have a 200P Dob Flex tube auto which is a bit heavier than a classic dob and can manage the weight ok and the eyepiece is just about right for viewing. I would have thought maneuvering a tripod around and messing about setting it up etc would be worse for a bad back in my opinion. Go with the 200P Skyliner I say.

Again, many thanks for the replies.

I suppose at the end of the day one pay's their money and takes their choice. I'm tempted by the Doby, but one think puts me off and that is, I will probably go up into the Brecon Beacons some nights; few miles away, to get some really good clear skies, so the terrain may not be suitable for the Doby. I'll have to do a day-light reccy and see if I can find a suitable location. This I think will help make up my mind.

As to carrying a tripod - I'm lucky in one respect, my wife will carry the scope. She's well trained and carries all my fishing gear from the car down to the water and back again. Best decision I made 31 years ago, buying; sorry, getting a "punka-walla" - god bless her. It only cost me the price of a licence - I've been quids in ever since.

DC

funny enough I'm going up into the Beacons with my 200p this evening (well Epynt actually so a bit further North again) - first time I've taken it away from the garden so if the weather breaks as it promises to this afternoon I'll let you know how I get on

cheers

Steve

Archived