Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Accidental scope damage; Help!

Hi folks,

Well...it pains me to say this but, in a Frank Spencer type moment, I was modifying my Evostar 120 focuser, went to grab some tools, and the OTA rolled off the table onto the floor :( God knows how, as the tube was on its side with the rings and dovetail still attached??

So, damage report: the dew shield cover has been knocked slightly out of shape at the very top rim (dented), but luckily the optics havent been damaged :angry4:

Also, the finder scope holder bracket has been pushed in slightly, so I needed a little help from a hammer to get the finder scope back in :p

I will need to check the scope once I get a clear night but fingers x'ed, there is nothing more serious awaiting me!

I wondered if anyone knows whether, if I needed to get replacement parts for the scope, is this possible/easily done? I am guessing the finderscope holder/focuser tube housing will be the most important.

Anyhow, I suppose that, as long as the scope still works, it will now have to be a keeper :)

:icon_eek:

Sorry I don't know about the parts but you need to check the collimation. The cell may have jarred out of alignment. A Cheshire eye piece should do as the multiple reflections should all be concentric.

Also you not the only one my Newtonian fell on the floor and bent the focuser.

Andrew

Sorry I don't know about the parts but you need to check the collimation. The cell may have jarred out of alignment. A Cheshire eye piece should do as the multiple reflections should all be concentric.

The OP damaged a refractor. I don't think Cheshire will work. He will need to do a star test when the weather clears. Also depending on the version, many Evostar 120 do not have collimatible lens cell. In which case he may have to send it back to get it collimated.

The OP damaged a refractor. I don't think Cheshire will work. He will need to do a star test when the weather clears. Also depending on the version, many Evostar 120 do not have collimatible lens cell. In which case he may have to send it back to get it collimated.

A Cheshire can also be used on a frac.

A Cheshire can also be used on a frac.

I see, I didn't realise refractor lenses can reflect enough light to use Cheshire, after all they are designed for maximum transmission. I just learned something new. Do you know whether a Cheshire will work on a SCT? It'd be nice if I can collimate mine indoor.

Regarding parts, Optical Vision Ltd would be the people to call, but hopefully you won't need to :-) You may be best to speak with a SW dealer/stockist (FLO is one), because the OVL website states "We are unable to respond to queries of a technical nature from the general public, please contact your nearest dealer/stockist for this assistance"

Regarding parts, Optical Vision Ltd would be the people to call, but hopefully you won't need to :-) You may be best to speak with a SW dealer/stockist (FLO is one), because the OVL website states "We are unable to respond to queries of a technical nature from the general public, please contact your nearest dealer/stockist for this assistance"

Thanks for that David, very helpful :)

I think that the quote about technical queries means don't phone them and say "how do I collimate my scope", and that sort of thing, so they may be ok to approach for spares? If not, as you say, FLO will help, i'm sure. CW

It turns out that the part that holds the focuser and which the finder scope sits in is knackered! There is a little piece of plastic in it which is used to tighten the focuser in the tube. This has come loose, and I can't work out how the hell to get it back in to it's groove (it just slides out again once I put it all back together). I have emailed FLO and asked if I can replace that part of the scope, but will have to wait and see :)

If not, oh dear...

At least the EQ5 and tripod are both ok :icon_scratch:

Just to update on this, I have now tested out the Evostar, and the only lasting effect of the damage seems to be a slight image shift in the focuser. Other than that, the focuser, which I have re-greased with lithium grease, works a lot more smoothly than it did with the sticky Chinese grease that it had before, and allows a more fine focus. Worth doing if you have a Skywatcher scope with the sticky grease; just don't drop the scope whilst doing it :( So, all's well that ends well, as they say :)

Archived