Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Sun 11 Februrary 2012 white light

Bizibilder

After quite a delay, some Sun images! There were even moments of pretty good seeing today for a change. The AR close-ups were stacked using AutoStakkert as an experiment - the software seems to have made a good job of the stack. I used Registax5 for wavelets. An R5 stack of the same .avi did not produce nearly as much detail in the final image with exactly the same wavelets. The downside is that AutoStakkert takes about 15+ mins to stack an .avi that stacks in less than two mins with Registax - 7.gif . It was set to stack the best 10% of images for each of about 200 regions of interest. The full discs were 64 frames stacked in R5 and finished in PS CS5.

10February2012JPEG.jpg

10February2012AnnotatedJPEG.jpg

10February2012AR1416Ar1417.jpg

10February2012LongLat.jpg

Beautiful images! and thanks for letting me know that the new version is out. I've been asking Emil for a while when this new version would be out as he has been getting excellent solar pictures with it since this time last year but wouldn't release it. I must go and try it out on my WL images from last year.

Regards

Alexandra

Thanks for the Autostakkert warning, just downloaded it and it's brilliant! However, on my file it processed a 600MB file in 3 minutes, about 4 x quicker than Registax 6? and it has done a 100x better job, I am so happy!

Alexandra

Superb :) Which camera did you use to capture these? Just posted my pathetic attempt - wondering now why I bothered :icon_scratch: Clearly I have much to learn and a long way to go :) I didn't know you could get so much surface detail without a special solar scope.

For the full disc the camera was a Canon 1000D at prime focus of a SW Evostar 120mm achromat stopped to 100mm with a Baader Solar Filter. Images shown are with and without a 2" #58 green filter which i'm experimenting with. I generally take 64 JPEG frames and stack them in Registax 5.

For the spot close-ups I use a SPC900 webcam, 1200 frames per .avi (sometimes 2400 frames). Again with the green filter.

Just to add, I find Autostakkert runs slower on my lappy than avistack, however, knowing me I probably have stoopid settings set up on autostakkert, with a bit of time will tweak and report back...

Archived