How to plan an observing session

Hi all,

I have noticed lately that my observing has settled into flicking between several objects that I already know (and love!) very well. Sometimes I will try to find some object that I read about earlier in the day, but I never really plan very well, and am often disappointed when I can't find the new object (more often than not).

To fix this, and to stop me getting bored, I need to form proper observing plans, and I was wondering if you had any advice on how to do this.

Should I be scouring high resolution sky-maps looking for interesting areas of the sky?

Should I spend a session browsing around a single constellation, hoping to stumble onto something interesting?

Maybe you know of a website or some software than will help with this?

I'd really appreciate any tips you have. Jupiter, M42, and M35-38, are beautiful, but I don't want to spend another night *just* looking at them and nothing else!

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve

What I sometimes do is to look at a planisphere to see what constellations are well placed in the sky for observing. Then look this constellation up in a detailed star atlas and pick out objects whithin to observe.

Regards Steve

Know exactly where you are coming from. Used to have the same problem. Not entirely sure I have cured it though :D so I may not be much help to you.

I used to rely on the latest astro magazine for some article about something interesting to observe this month. Also bought a few books like this one :-

Celestial Sampler: 60 Small-Scope Tours for Starlit Nights (Stargazing): Amazon.co.uk: Richard Tresch Fienberg, Sue French: 9781931559287: Books

which has pre fabricated tours written into them.

Lately though I have been using Stellarium to identify targets in a specific constellation (one that is at a good place in the sky for me to observe). I also have a log of the Messier and other objects that I have observed so if I run out of ideas I just have a look at this and see what is missing from the list.

Also pick up a lot of inspiration from this here forum. See what others are looking at and perhaps have a go myself.

If your interest is in planets / comets / asteroids then you kind of have to look at what is available so less need of planning

Break your sessions into segments...and plan using good charts.

Start with trying to observe something new on the moon - possibly even sketch or take an image of it...

Then work on planets if seeing good then you can spend a fair bit on planets as you will be amazed just how much detail your eyes pick out with time.

Then pick 1 or 2 bright DSO's (not galaxies)possibly something you have viewed before and spend quite some time viewing them....look for something new...as daft as it sounds you will be surprised when doing this something may catch your eye you were not expecting as your eyes slowly swallow up more and more photons as it gets more adapted to low light levels.

Then try for 1 or 2 DSO's (not galaxies) not tried before possibly trickier and spend time confirming you have found it....

Compile a list if that helps..to aid with what you have observed...

Then try for a a galaxy or 2 if you have been lucky enough to have total night vision with no bright light interference - locating the old smudgies becomes a lot easier and structure becomes easier to see...especially on some of the well known spirals such as M51 etc

I spent some time bagging some obscure planetary nebula which was quite fun...

So can always do observing themes....such as a Galaxy night - a Nebula night...etc

Thanks all. Lots of good tips there. I really should start paying more attention to the Moon -- especially since the nights will be so light here (southern Sweden) during the summer that I probably won't get much of a chance to look at anything else!

So, does everyone here always go outside with a good idea of exactly what objects they intend to look at? Do any of you ever go out with the idea of strolling round a particular region to see if you stumble on anything interesting?

I am a little worried that without becoming better organised I will start to bore of astronomy, and will miss out on how much fun it really could be. :D

I can second (or third or maybe fourth!!) the comments above. I too have started to plan what I want to look at so that I take in new things. I looked at what constellations were prominent in the evening sky and worked out what DSOs were buried within them and actually made a table and printed it out to take outside. Over the weekend I used Stelarium in earnest for the first time and realised how useful it is. I plan to use that to see what is visible throughout the night and plan my observing time instead of just going out in the early to mid evening - like Sautuday when I got up at 4 to see things in Hercules.

At last I'm starting to learn more about the sky now that my 250px has brought so much more within my reach :D

So, does everyone here always go outside with a good idea of exactly what objects they intend to look at? Do any of you ever go out with the idea of strolling round a particular region to see if you stumble on anything interesting?

I am a little worried that without becoming better organised I will start to bore of astronomy, and will miss out on how much fun it really could be. :D

I often just wing it too. That is, just pick a constellation and go for a wander about with the scope, see what comes up. This way I use most around the milky way in the Sumer. You cannot fail to bump into something interesting.

Regards Steve

Consider investing in something like AstroPlanner V2.

It links to CdC and can also control your GOTO etc etc.

The extensive databases cover everything you're ever likely to observe and you can import images and record your observations.

Highly recommended.

i do that too, although i am still spellbound by the moon! this has been a helpful thread as i was wondering where to go next, have seen Jupiter, and a very small Mars and not alot else! :D

I try to have a list of new objects I want to get to finding, as well as revisiting the ones I've found before and spending time following my favourites to see if I can tease out some new detail or if the seeing is particularly good.

I find the whole process more satisfying when I do have an objective for the evening, but I'm a long way from making up plans of things to do in order.

Tyr

I am working through the Caldwell and Herschel 400 lists (Messier list completed), and often plan around looking for these. I check which area is placed in a favourable position, and note any objects on the list that I have not logged. Any other objects in the area are also noted. I often spend several sessions in the same area. Conditions also determine what type of DSOs I focus on: Galaxies and reflection nebulae on the very darkest nights, brighter emission nebulae and globulars when there is some moonlight, and open clusters and planetaries when the moon nears 50% (rule of thumb, I often digress profitably). I started doing this systematically a year an a half ago, and last year I bagged 311 new DSOs. January 2012 has yielded 32 new ones, so I am still going strong.

Finally, a very important source of info is the observing section of SGL, in particular the "Observing - Reports" and "Observing - Deep Sky" forums. I get many tips for new objects there.

Each to their own but I look at a detailed atlas at the best placed area of sky (for the time and location) and try to find something new. I will have a 'break' by having a quick look at the brighter easy targets too. It can get boring to keep going back to the same stuff but throwing in a new DSO or two livens things up.

Archived