Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Startravel 102, hmmm should I?

I said I was only going to spend £50 or so on a used scope as my first scope, but I went and blew the budget on the 200p with eq5 (would've been rude not to) and now I'm getting all itchy to spend some more :D

I'm sort of considering a cheeky little purchase of the star travel 102, thinking I could piggy back it or, if I fancy popping out into the countryside I could whip it in the car with the eq5 and be off for a bit of grab n go action. Thing is, in comparison to the 200p what could I reasonably expect to see? Could I use it as a camera scope whilst piggy backing which would leave the 200p available for viewing through at the same time, or maybe use it as a (expensive I admit) finderscope? I just love the look of a couple of scopes piggy backing, they look awsome, but from a pratical point of view what would it be usefull for? I might still get one anyway as a grab n go, I just like the looks of them TBH.

:cussing: I think I've caught scope fever, is there a cure :clouds1:

Probably good for what you describe as long as you appreciate that there will be some CA of bright objects.

The scope will be easy to use owing to the field of view that it has and the magnification will not be too high. I would guess that a 5mm eyepiece is the magximum mag that is sensible. Basically use the scope for low to medium power observing only.

There are quite a few Startravel 102's on ebay at the moment. I don't know what the new price of one of these is, but there's a used OTA, but less than 6 months old, currently going for £108 with 23 hours left to go - but there's 20 bids so far! Sorry, I don't know how to post a link! :D

Maybe of interest to you, perkil8r?

Thanks :D I've had a quick look, but TBH new OTA's are only around £160, but having seen the results from the ST80 I am tempted by that instead at only £90 ish new from FLO.

I think this snow needs to hurry up and go away or else I'm going to end up pennyless and in the dog house with the missus!

There is a good mods video on you tube from astronomy shed on the st80

Edited by perkil8r

Kind of decided to go for a cheeky ST80, now my only sticking point is, do I go for the OTA or add the EQ1 at the same time.... I know the EQ1 won't set my world on fire, but it would mean that the Grab n Go would be considerably easier rather than lugging the EQ5 along for the ride. If I'm taking the EQ5 I may aswell grab the 200p at the same time, not exactly grab n go as such IMO.

So, what to do? ST80 OTA and use either piggy back or on EQ5, or spend some loose change extra and get the ST80 EQ1 and have the option of a quick and lightwieght method of getting out in the field with minimum fuss?

I do not like the EQ1 at all (or EQ2 for that matter). They are wobbly as anything. If you sit the OTA directly on the EQ5 it will be very solid. I use my APM 80mm on my Great Polaris mount (similar to EQ5) and find it a very portable package. I just use a single counterweight, and that makes the package WAY lighter than with the C8 OTA on it (with 70mm finder it requires three counterweights).

I had a startravel 102 (well the celestron equivalent) bought secondhand for £50. I wasa quite impressed with the bright view from such a cheap refractor although there was quite a lot of false colour/CA.

I used it as my grab and go and as a guiescope. I decided to use a manfrotto tripod and head for travel purposes rather than a cheap EQ1 or 2.

The ST80 is nont a bad little scope but I think if you can find a 102 used then you'll appreciate the extra aperture.

One other thing to consider is the weight - I was suprised at the weight of the 102mm so this may be something to consider if you want to use your 200p for imaging on a EQ5 - once you start adding cameras etc it can potentially reach the limits of the mount.

Edited by Sponcom

I have the st102 and its a good little scope and suits my current needs perfectly. The CA can be a bit of a problem but the widefield views are excellent and i've found a lot more objects with this than with my previous scopes

I got it for £120, mint and hardly used on an eq1 but ditched that for an eq3 which made a huge difference and its still very portable. I am awaiting delivery of an eq5 goto mount at the moment so dont know what that will do for portability.

ps, it fits nicely into a maplins case after seperating the dew shield.

• 8 years later...
5 hours ago, Supernova74 said:

Hi there the 200p weighs in around 9kg if you was considering piggy backing with an additional scope I’m afraid you most probably be over loading the mounts payload capacity 

Please check the age of the thread before replying to a post. This thread is over eight years old and the OP hasn't logged on since 2018.