Another Noob

Jack Tar

Hi All,

Yes, I'm another convert to astronomy caused by the recent Stargazing Live Series!

I'm 44, living in Waterlooville (outside of Portsmouth), and have always had a passing interest in the night sky, though nothing "serious" thus far.

However, inspired by the Stargazing Live series, I've decided to make a more concerted effort at expanding my Astronomical knowledge and experiences, and joining this forum is one of my first steps.

I've lurked for a few weeks, picking up hints and tips, and can already see what a helpful and friendly bunch you are, so I'm looking forward to being more proactive.

BTW, I currently have no equipment other than my enthusiasm, and a tiny pair of 8x21 bins. (So stand by for lots of requests for guidence!)

Clear Skies!

HI Jack and welcome to the forum. You might find it useful to download Stellarium here, as its free and will help you get to know where everything is. It will help you also to identify what you are looking at through your binos. I'm sure at some point you will want to get your hands on a scope and so you might want to enquire at your local astro club/society to see if they have any kit that you can borrow as this will help you to eventually decide on type and size that best suites your observing needs.

Clear skies for now.

James

Many thanks all, for your warm welcome, especially:

Gingergeek: Thanks for the link, it looks very handy for me. Luckily I'm quite close to Butser Hill, one of the Dark sites.

and

JBM1165: Again, thanks for the link...which I've now downloaded and had a play with. Looks very useful. (and better than Google Sky Maps on my phone!)

Good call on the local Astro Society and borrowing scopes. Initially I'm looking at a better pair of Bins, before I start looking at scopes, but the local club is definately a good way to go when the time comes.

Archived