Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon EOS 1100D control

Gina

I want to use the 1100D for imaging with computer control. I have APT but not tried it yet - does it need the EOS Utilities? I would like to try my netbook as I'm having problems with a couple of old desktops I have. I may want an external USB CDROM drive to load software from CD - the net is on problem as I have wifi. Would I need EOS Utilities to use live view with the computer?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don't need EOS Utils with APT. Personally I prefer Backyard EOS which is a brilliant and easy to use piece of software. I use a 5 mtr active usb cable to connect the camera to the laptop although for the most part I am sitting next to the scope anyway!
Thank you :D That's just what I wanted to know :(

I don't think I want a shutter timer though I guess it could be handy.

Gina, I think you still need to install the drivers from Canon Utility in order to make APT and BYEOS work.

I have always used terlescope control for my DSLR 450D and like it a lot. Originally I used Canon Utiolity to capture and recently swapped to APT because of the extra features. I have not used it but lots of people also rave about BYEOS.

APT works in live view (as does Canon utilies), though live view is only bright enough for doing focus, alignment, you can't see whether you have the object in the FOV unless it contains bright stars like M42.

Carole

Gina, I think you still need to install the drivers from Canon Utility in order to make APT and BYEOS work.

I installed APT on an old laptop recently, I didn't install any of the canon utils or drivers and it does work.

I received a USB CDROM drive I ordered and installed the Canon utilities onto my netbook and it works fine. Full control of the 1100D from computer - very impressive :) Only proviso is that EOS Utilities only works a 1024x768 minimum screen resolution but I'm using a 17" monitor anyway (it refused to install with the native 1024x600 netbook screen). It also refused to install just the EOS Utils but was OK when I tried installing the lot.

Once it instelled the camera control and review parts of EOS utils will work fine at the lower res... Its only the Installer and DPP than wont...

You could have copied the CD contents to the Root of a USB stick and they would have installed fine...

I am finding Backyard EOS scales it's UI very nicely to the lower res netbook screen.. it's ticking all the boxes with me at the moment... sO I guess I will b e buying it just before the fully featured demo runs out

Peter...

Thanks for that Ivo :) Now I just need the opportunity to try it. Two things are needed - clear skies and my need to recover from the bug I'm currently suffering from :)

Have EOS Utilities and APT working fine on my netbook though I haven't tried all the features of APT. Live view with it's zoom is great for focussing and so is having full control of all camera functions from the comfort of my warm room. :)

It seems to do everything and I'm looking forward to trying its other features. The colour scheme is very restful in the low light environment and a better idea than a sheet red plastic in front of the monitor :D I expect to be buying the full version before long. Recommended :clouds1:

Gina, I have just started using my 1100 for astrophotography and am currently using it with the Canon utilities on my laptop. Everything works fine, but I am having a problem with the saved files. Neither adobe photoshop or gimp will open them. I know it must only be a setting change, but for the life of me I haven't sorted it yet. Also when I try and use Deep sky stacker, again it doesn't seem to work properley.

Maybe someone could advise on the best format to save images, when using the Canon utilities?

Archived