Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyWatcher PanaView 32mm Eyepiece 2

Pete D

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Pete I think it is the same across the board. I was trying to get hold of a 32mm Panaview for about a month and nearly tried ebay. They have a 26mm Panaview, but its £81.00. But in the end settled for an Aero ED 2, 30mm from FLO. As mentioned by DOBBY more readily available. But about another £50. Good luck, hope you find the E.P you want.

I used to have one of these, it was very good in my 200p, (only let it go when I got a good deal on the Meade 34mm last year when they were being sold off cheap by retailers!!) The Panaview was really nice for the money though, I can understand why they are so popular!!

Doc

If you cant get the Panaview, get the Ostara SWA 2"

Same eyepiece but with a fold down eyecup as opposed to a twist on the Panaview

What's the story ? there is little mention of Ostara EP on the Internet, except to ask if they are OK. I know they make binoculars which get a reasonable write up.

The Ostara SWA's are clones of the Adler Optik, Burgess Optical, Meade QX, Orion (USA) Q70's and a number of other brands SWA eyepieces. They also used to be sold under the Rigel branding. The optics may or may not be the same as the Panaviews. It's hard to tell without dismantling some to compare them and then there is the quality of the coatings and internal light baffling which could vary :icon_salut:

Something to whet your appetite.. I am putting together a sort of `review/comparison` thingy as a side-project.. Here are some photos of the Panaviews (26mm & 38mm) alongside a Skywatcher Aero 35mm. I have also included a screenshot from Starry Night 6 to show the areas they cover - these are pretty much bang on the mark.

For what its worth, the Panaview 38mm is far better to use on clusters than Heinz Winter Vegetable Broth.

post-23171-133877729884_thumb.jpg

post-23171-13387772989_thumb.jpg

post-23171-133877729896_thumb.jpg

post-23171-133877729903_thumb.jpg

post-23171-133877729907_thumb.jpg

post-23171-133877729911_thumb.jpg

ordered my 32mm panaview from aststronomia 2-3 days estimate but after 8 days they still hadnt had a delivery and where not sure when they would, so i changed my order for a 38mm which they had in stock plus a hyperion 13mm and a 2x tal barlow all of which arrived next day (yesterday) very pleased indeed :):D:D

You'll love it I'm sure - one fun thing to try with it is projecting the moon onto a fence/patio/sheet if paper! I had the moon lined up in my scope last week and looked away for a few seconds and as i moved away from the eyepiece i saw an incredible amount of light projecting from the 38mm onto the ground - a quick tweak with the focus and it sprang into life! Projecting onto white card was even more impressive and I was able to get it projecting an approximately 4" image of the moon with amazing clarity. Give it a whirl!

• 2 weeks later...
Has anybody used the 26mm version with the skywatcher explorer 200p?

Yes, I recently managed to get one off ABS to go with my Panaview 38mm and my Aero 35mm.

Overall its a good eyepiece, a HUGE step up from the standard EPs. It is prone to coma from about 60% out in fast newts/dobs but to be honest it doesnt bother me all that much. Well built and with good eye relief.

If you are having trouble sourcing any of the Aero or Panaviews, look at this website

Search

The Titan and Titan II eyepiece are exactly the same as the Skywatcher Panaviews and Aeros, just badged up differently and this company will ship to UK addresses - not sure of the cost, but with the current brand new price of around £35 for a Panaview (Titan) you could end up saving overall, especially if you buy 2 or 3 at once. Obviously the downside is returning it if there are problems - but its maybe one avenue to explore and possibly save some money..

EDIT - you might get stung by those lovely people at Customs as well.

Archived