Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyWatcher PanaView 32mm Eyepiece 2

Pete D

Hi Simms- I've had the 32mm Panaview on order with FLO for a month or so already - would you recommend the 38mm over the 32mm if you could only have one?

I've got the skywatcher 25mm which came with the 200p and am wondering whether I'd be better off with the 38mm rather than the 32mm (can't afford both atm unfortunately) appreciate your thoughts

cheers

Steve

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd recommend the 32mm for the 200p, I've got one and it's a lovely combination. I think there would be exit pupil issues with a 38mm EP, I think it would be 7.8mm which would be a bit to high, the 32mm has an exit pupil of 6.6mm which is better.

I think these are right, please correct me anyone.

I'd recommend the 32mm for the 200p, I've got one and it's a lovely combination. I think there would be exit pupil issues with a 38mm EP, I think it would be 7.8mm which would be a bit to high, the 32mm has an exit pupil of 6.6mm which is better.

Whilst your numbers seem correct - actually using the 38mm is a great experience - and that's how I judge an eyepiece - not on stats but how it performs for me - and bar some coma ~30% from the edge, the name `Panaview` is incredibly apt - like looking through a huge porthole into space.. Gorgeous!

Hi Simms- I've had the 32mm Panaview on order with FLO for a month or so already - would you recommend the 38mm over the 32mm if you could only have one?

I've got the skywatcher 25mm which came with the 200p and am wondering whether I'd be better off with the 38mm rather than the 32mm (can't afford both atm unfortunately) appreciate your thoughts

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, I once had the 32mm Panaview which I ended up selling when I picked up my Aero, but from what I can recall it was certainly the best of the three Panaviews on offer. I used it in my 200PDS and loved it, but it is trumped by the 35mm Aero. In order of preference for the Panaviews I would say 32mm, 38mm then 26mm. But all perform better than the 25mm that comes shipped with the OTA you have (the 25mm is a solid 2" EP, but you`ll benefit from the upgrade).

Correct. I tried a 38mm in my 200p and it was slightly dim with a hint of a dark spot in the middle.

It's down to age I would expect. If your under 40 then the 38mm will be fine, if your over 45 then it will still work, but you waste the light.

Interesting about the Aero 35mm being better. Things I have read would suggest that isn't the case, that they are very similar?

• 3 months later...

I've just purchased the 38mm Panaview, I'm going to be using it through a 10" Dob F4.7 ("crikey" I hear you all say), I'm 29 yrs old so hopefully my eyes haven't fallen apart quite so much and all will be good! I'll do a report how well it works for us young uns with supposive good eyes!! :hello2:

....Interesting about the Aero 35mm being better. Things I have read would suggest that isn't the case, that they are very similar?

Having tried both, I felt that the Aero ED's were a bit better corrected at the edge of the field of view than the Panaviews. The light throughput of the Aero ED's seemed a little better to me as well.

I understand that the optics in the Aero ED's are the same as those used in the now out of production but well regarded TMB Paragon wide fields.

Archived