Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skyliner 300P flocking

assasincz

The idea of flocking my new Skywatcher Skyliner 300P popped into my mind just as I finished assembling it on the day of its arrival. Even though I am embarrased to say that the scope has yet to experience first light (I have had it for nearly a month now and obciously, I will not be able to supply the comparison impressions of pre and post flocking), I was positive that flocking was right thing to do in order to enhance my yet to come observations even more. It is said that flocking (or baffling) enhances contrast of the image, which is, obviously, a good thing. It is also said that only flocking the opposite of the focuser is sufficient, but I like doing things in their entirety.

The OTA's dimensions are, when stripped, as follows

(sorry about the metric):

Tube internal diameter: 35.2 cm

Tube internal circumference: 110.5 cm

Tube length (flockable): 133 cm

Total surface area: 1.47 m2

The flocking material I intended to use, self-adhesive D-C-Fix Velur Black, comes - at my local hobby market at least - in roles of 45 cm, so it seemed logical to get an entire 5m role and save myself some excess flocking material for later use. The entire 5 meter role cost me the equivalent of £84, which is not bad I suppose

First on to-do-list was to strip the OTA naked, which meant removing all the bits and pieces, mainly the crayford focuser, primary mirror cell and the spider. As it turned out, stripping the OTA was a doddle, although I was a bit anxious about it. 15 minutes later and with the pimary and secondary mirrors hidden well under a cardboard box, all was ready for flocking.

Three strips of the flocking material in the dimensions of 45x111cm were ready for being stacked one after the other into the tube. Before fiddling with it however, I have taken a precaution and carefully and thoroughly vacuumed the surface of the flocking material with a rubber-tipped vacuuming head to get rid of all the loose fibers. When fitting the flocking material, the welded joint in the OTA itself served as an excellent guiding line for lining up the roles parallel to it. Once I got the edge of the role lined up nicely with the OTA joint, I began unrolling the velur few centrimeters at a time while smoothening the sticking part with my hand. It all went rather well and smoothly, the flocking material demonstrated no tendencies to get distorted or to make deformed creases. I have cut-off the overlapping edges with a Stanley knife.

Fitting the flocking material is quite a palaver and requires a lot of patience, but in the case of 300P, there is enough room inside the tube to use both hands comfortably. Word of advice though, I would advise against smoothening the velur with anything other than the hand. While using a ruler to do it, the velur started releasing fibers at such a rate that my hands went black at one point, and that, surely, would be bad news for the optics inside. The great thing about this material is that once it sticks to the surface, it is rather easy to unstick it and reapply it again.

After all three roles were in place, it was simply a case of cutting out holes for screws, vacuuming the velur again to reduce the stray fibres to minimum and assembling the scope back together. When it was done, I have made sure that the spider is perfectly centred, collimated the optics (just minute tweaks were necessary) and all was done. The marvellous thing about the the flocking material I have used is that you can easily remove it, should you need to apply warranty, for instance.

Feels pretty good though, especially when you compare the "before" and "after" pictures. I have to say that the quality of the default matt paint was not in itself bad, but under steep angles, the reflections were more than apparent. There is just one thing I am a bit worried about and that is the issue with loose fibres falling on the primary mirror, but for now, I will rest at ease. And what is more, there is enough velur left to flock my 4.5" reflector as well :icon_salut:

I am really looking forward to (as for the last month I have had this scope) for the first light. Damn the invesion, misty weather!!!

I will be really glad for some tips and follow-ups.

post-27855-133877723926_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877723933_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877723939_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877723946_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877723952_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877723959_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877723965_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877723972_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877723977_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877723983_thumb.jpg

post-27855-13387772399_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877723998_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877724005_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877724017_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

to be honest i did my 300p with the american stuff nearly cost the same as 2 good eps let me tell ya theres no fibers fall of this.a lot of the other stuff on the market is not the same and degrades faster but am sure if yo keep a eyes on things did you glue all the edges ,as my mate brought some from wilkos ,3 weeks later it was starting to peel back on its self lots of people forget to glue the edges

Does it not gather dust particles on the cloth?

Hard to tell frankly, because it's been only two weeks since I have flocked it. There is some occasional hair from our dogs to be seen stuck to it, but nothing dramatic. I don't t think that the flocking material is any more dust-attracting then the matt paint though:D

A lot of the other stuff on the market is not the same and degrades faster

Well, the only material available in Czech Republic that is suitable for flocking (having consulted it with some guys at Czech astronomy forums) is indeed only the D-C-Fix stuff. Prior to buying the D-C-Fix, I have been searching long and hard, online or otherwise, for anything other than that within Czech market, but to no avail. So, for me, it was the only possibility.

Yes, the fibres falling on the optics is an big concern for me. I have used the same material to flock my 4.5" scope too, and the material sheds some fibres when being scrached even by a sheet of A4 paper (when collimating the secondary). I have then found some fibres on the scope's primary mirror, but nothing serious.

That said however, I have not found a single piece of fibre on my 300P's primary mirror after two viewing sessions (presumably because I have not scrached the surface of the flocking material with anything). Since floking it, the scope experienced temepratures as low as -16°C and a lot of consequent dew and moisture after being brought inside, and so far, there are no signs of the material peeling off. When flockign the scope, I avoided overlapping of the material because, presumably, it sticks better to the metal surface than to the hairy surface of the flocking material.

I am certain that the material will not last for eternity though. But as a lot of people are flocking their scopes with the D-C-Fix velur, here at SGL or on CZ forums, and I have seen remarks of it being of a reasonably good quality, so I hope I've done nothing foolish :)

How does it perform?

Again, hard to tell, because I have had my first light with the scope actually after I have flocked it :) It was actually a hazy, misty night with quater-moon and one of the worst seeing conditions I have ever experienced, so I resigned myself only to observing the Moon and Jupiter, so nothing to report there.

I might be able to compare the pre and post flocking performance of my smaller 4.5" scope though, as I remember what the views through it were before flocking it, but I have not yet had it out for a session since.

I used the flocking but spayed hairspray to "fix" it as my hands were black after smoothing it down. That stopped any further problem.

A wonderful idea mate!

Building on your premise, perhaps using a matt spray varnish might be a more permanent solution. I will definately try both hair spray and spray varnish on a piece of redundant flocking material and will report back with the results as to which one is better.

Thanks again

Sounds nuts, but flock your dewshield as well (if it isn't black already). I've noticed an improvement in contrast (10%) and the shield seems to block ground level LP (neighbour's downstairs room lights, etc)

To complete the experience, a black cloth draped over the head helps.

Well I am keen for my eyes to soak up every photon going - well from space, anyway...:)

Archived