Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M45 Pleiades and surrounding dust regions

Catanonia

It was glorious last night and I took a few quick subs of a target I haven't imaged for some considerable time.

M45 was in a lovely position in the sky and I opted to try the standard method of luminance and 2xbin for the colour layer.

The following images comprises of

55mins in 5 min subs unbinned luminance

25 mins in 2.5min subs 2 x bin for each RGB channel

So around 2.5 hours worth of data.

Getting the flats for 2xbin with a F2.8 scope was indeed a challenge and so frustrating, but I managed it eventually.

The dust layers surrounding the nebula are starting to show nice and I am quite pleased with the details of the whispy clouds in the Pleiades. I am loving this scope and by far the best image I have taken of M45 by a mile.

Details

TS SuperNewt 200mm @ F2.8 568mm FL

QHY9 mono + 2inch QHY filters LRGB

QHY5 + TS OAG + NEQ6 Pro + PHD for guiding

PixInsight and CS5 for processing.

I hope you like it.

Cat

post-16631-133877723296_thumb.jpg

Well, I have to confess.

That is the prettiest Image of the Pleiades Cluster, Dust, surrounding stars, and everything else I've ever seen.

It looks unreal somehow, but don't be offended, it most likely is.

It's the strange opulent aura surrounding it.

Different in a very pleasing way. Probably the extra is a result of the capture speed of the mirror.

Still some anomaly with stars bottom left Cat.

:icon_salut::icon_salut:.

Ron.

Lots of dust for just less than an hour, I wouldn't get that from here, and the binned colour seems to have worked well too.

Everyone has their own take on the processing, I'd prefer to see this one a little softer in the dust clouds perhaps, it would balance the crispness of the diffraction spikes.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks all.

I can just about spot some DBE issues Harry now you mention it. There wasn't much "background" to play with on BDE due to the dust. The image was hardly stretched, last night was exceptionally clear for my location and the Luminance for 5 mins @ F2.8 was just full of detail.

Melibum, nice scope you are going for, a quattro, no excuses now. Must pop around and let me have a peek at it as I was considering one myself. The spikes are from the spider vanes of the secondary and you will get similar on the quattro.

Here are two images of luminance showing the data I collected in 5 min subs

1. A single calibrated 5 min sub in luminance unbinned

2. 10 x 5 min subs unbinned and combined and DBE processed. No other work done.

Loads of detail in these subs, was amazed at the data. The RGB were just as good.

post-16631-133877723378_thumb.jpg

post-16631-133877723384_thumb.jpg

Melibum, nice scope you are going for, a quattro, no excuses now. Must pop around and let me have a peek at it as I was considering one myself. The spikes are from the spider vanes of the secondary and you will get similar on the quattro .

yup just talking to nadeem about buying his (well waiting for a reply)

bought lots of flags today for the start of the obsy :icon_salut: i will give you a shout when i get the Quattro and you can come round or i will pop over to yours

I like the depth and you collected it so fast. You've pushed hard in the processing and looking at the L layer on its own I wonder if you couldn't lift off a bit and still have a formidable dusty background. But that's all down to personal style and this has attitude!

Olly

Thanks everyone. I know the processing may not be to everyones liking, but I hardly stetched or played with the image. The luminance I posted was just DBE and leveled, and there was massive amounts of data in the subs with this super fast scope.

I am still getting used to the data coming out of the scope, so hopefully my images and processing will improve a bit more to do it justice.

2.5 hours of data?! :):(.

With the clear skies I've been getting, it would probably take me maybe a couple of months to possibly capture similar data... and even then I probably wouldn't be able to process it like this! Stunning image :D...

2.5 hours of data?! :):(.

With the clear skies I've been getting, it would probably take me maybe a couple of months to possibly capture similar data... and even then I probably wouldn't be able to process it like this! Stunning image :D...

This is the exact reason I picked this scope was to allow me to make the most of the horrid british weather and not have to split a target over several days / nights and never complete it.

Lovely image cat with one exception, In my eye's the diffraction spikes spoil the real depth of the image and need toning down a little :D

Thanks, but difficult to do with this newtonian and it's spider vanes. I tried to ensure I didn't enhance them any more from the raw data, but these are very bright stars and it is just what happens with newts.

Thanks anyway. Collimation is not too bad, although I have a lot to learn. You collimate this at F4 and then put in the reducer to get to F2.8 so not much over the standard F5 newtonian in terms of collimation.

Archived