Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My Birthday

Stargazer Jack

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, i wish we had more imagination in our home, i have all the warm socks i can handle...

Happy birthday and please could you post hints on how to better my birthday presents, when you get back from that stunning trip.

Happy Birthday :)

Excellent present as well. We went to Iceland a few years ago and it is a wonderful place - one of my most enjoyable holidays.

To get the most out of the trip a car is a necessity and then you'll really enjoy the places outside of Reykjavik.

Gullfoss waterfall and the Strokkur geyser are "must sees" if you get the opportunity.

We were lucky to see the N Lights up at Lake Myvatn - quite a sight.

We also went October and weather ranged from sun to snow!

Have a good trip (and start saving now - its very expensive there!!)

Andy

Thank you to everyone for all my 'happy birthdays'. One question I have about auroras, how close do they have to be to be able to see on the horizon. If I was in Iceland now, would I be able to see this from Reykjavik?

Yes, since Iceland is at the edge of the orange area in this map. The blue areas indicate low to very low intensity while the yellow areas indicate high intensity. The red arrow points to the part of the Earth where noon time is present. Since the geomagnetic activity changes from hour to hour and day to day, you have to check this map site about an hour or two before trying to see if any aurora is visible at your location.

As for the locations of the colors, if the outer edge of the blue area is over your location, chances are very slim that you could see any aurora but if the inner blue edge is over your location, chances are very good of seeing a display. If the yellow color is over your location, you are extremely likely to see a display.

So when you get to Iceland, you will have to check out the site map during the day before the night coming up. since conditions change daily and sometimes hourly.

Hope this answers your questions (it did mine after I went to the site):icon_salut:

Archived