NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nice pic - but laughable reporting from the daily fail!

Claire

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it hard to believe that a static pinhole camera (made from a beer can - or any sort of cylindrical object) could have had sufficient FOV to catch both sunrise and sunset near the summer solstice. Perhaps someone could explain?

I find it hard to believe that a static pinhole camera (made from a beer can - or any sort of cylindrical object) could have had sufficient FOV to catch both sunrise and sunset near the summer solstice. Perhaps someone could explain?

In this type of pinhole camera the film is attached in a long strip to the inside circumference of the cylinder. The film is slowly exposed as the Sun moves across the film.

In this type of pinhole camera the film is attached in a long strip to the inside circumference of the cylinder. The film is slowly exposed as the Sun moves across the film.
It could still have no more than a 90° fov surely? The extremes would be: (1) rays coming from due East which strike the point of the cylinder where the pinhole is, tangentially, and (2) rays from due West (likewise).

Therefore I do not see how rays coming from NE (summer sunrise) and NW (summer sunset) could have been both captured with a single static camera.

Unless more than one camera was used. :)

Although i'd be the first to poke fun at the daily mail - i'm not sure what is wrong with the reporting here.

If you mean it talking about the PATH of the Sun - well, there's nothing wrong with that - the Sun does follow an apparent path across the sky, just like the Moon, planets, comets...

Callum

I've seen this done (in publications) a number of times, I think it is indeed the fact that the film is arced with the natural curve of the can to give such a wide field of view. When the sun shines on the pinhole from the east it will strike the paper on the left side of the can and vice versa won't it? When the sun is in the south it will strike the paper in the centre.

Ah well - that explains it: the DM article was little more than a verbatim quote of Dr Sarzi's write-up on APOD. And seems OK to me - and I'm certainly no DM fan as a rule!

The only 'laughable' part is the comments section, where some guys who know better have a pop at the DM (and by corollary, a pop at Dr Sarzi) for daring to come across all pre-Galileo on the Sun 'orbiting' the Earth. That's not what Dr Sarzi says at all: he merely says that the Sun appears to follow a 'path' across the sky as seen by an Earth based observer - as of course it does.

If we were to take Galileo too literally, we could no longer talk of 'sunrise' or 'sunset' - instead we'd have to say 'EarthTurnsSoThatSunsRaysNoLongerStrikeThisPoint' or something equally unpronounceable...:)

Sounds pretty cool. But one thing a little confusing me. Is the photo paper bog standered inkjet printer paper or film?

Gareth

It has to be film - as would be put in a camera, rather than paper that goes in a printer.

Regarding very long-exposure 'photography'...

Something is tugging at my memory - not sure where it came from.

Some sort of 'schoolboy' experiment in which you contrived to 'print' an image on the skin of an apple.

The idea was, you need an apple tree, preferably a variety that goes deep red when ripe. You glue a snippet of photographic negative onto the skin (sunward side) of a still-green apple on the tree, taking care to disturb the apple as little as possible. Then wait a few weeks for the apple to ripen. Remove the negative. Lo! You have a contact print from your negative on the apple.

Don't know whether this works. Anyone know any more?

Archived