Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nice pic - but laughable reporting from the daily fail!

Claire

Reminded me that my late Dad used to bring home bits of, very "slow", light sensitive (Diazo?) blueprint paper - a "Draughtsman" he was, bless 'im. Not sure the development thereof - "880 ammonia"(?) was very kitchen-friendly tho'... :)

Now, my uncle was once a real-life (local) "weather man"...

Campbell?Stokes recorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :)

The large glass ball was very appealing to any kid!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reminded me that my late Dad used to bring home bits of, very "slow", light sensitive (Diazo?) blueprint paper - a "Draughtsman" he was, bless 'im. Not sure the development thereof - "880 ammonia"(?) was very kitchen-friendly tho'... :)

Now, my uncle was once a real-life (local) "weather man"...

Campbell?Stokes recorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :)

The large glass ball was very appealing to any kid!

Nasty stuff. Cleared your blocked nose though.

Peter

I think I might be able to shed a bit of light on a couple of things that people have brought up on this as I researched it a bit when I was considering showing this technique to some of my students.

The nature of the pinhole camera means that you get a wide FOV, this then allows you to capture such a vast area of sky. Its alsomst like having a fish eye lens and can create some wacky effects when you photograph something close up.

The closer your light sensitive paper of film is to the pinhole the wider your field of view will be.

I have a Holga Wide pinhole camera Redirect Notice and this captures a very wide FOV see here: Holga Wide Pinhole - a set on Flickr

lukebl : Solargraphy, it's called. It's a bit of a global phenomenon. The pictures are often taken using something as small as an old 35mm film canister. Beats me how it doesn't get overexposed, though.
lukebl is correct it is called Solargraphy. I too was confused as to how it doesnt get over exposed. Well infact actually it does, but it gets so over exposed that it acrually burns the image into the emulsion of the light sensitive paper that the camera has been loaded with.

Usually conventional darkroom printing paper is used for Solargraphy.

To try and explain, when you expose paper to light in a darkroom you need to pass it through chemistry to develop the image and make it apear on the paper.

With this the image is already on the paper when you remove it from the camera and you do not put the paper through any chemistry to make the image apear. If you did, the paper would instantly go black because it has been over exposed.

pete_l : That bit about using your computer's scanner to "develop" the film sounds far too clever - impressive.

I just *know* that if I tried this, I'd probably put the film in with the sensitive side facing the outside :)

The reason you use the scanner to develop the film is beacuse the image captured on the photographic paper will be negative. This is because usually then working in a darkroom you project a negative image (eg from your film, hence why they are called neagtives, sorry if that is obviouse to some) onto the paper and then it becomes positive.

Scanning the image allows you to put it into photoshop etc and invert it to make the image positive.

A while back I started a thread to ask if anyone had ever tried Solargraphy http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/136511-pinhole-photography-solargraphy.html

Sorry if I've rambled a bit just thought I'd share what I know. :)

im actually considering doing this for a laugh, any one else wanna give it a go?

I'm going to have a go at this this summer Gaz. In fact I might make a few in different sizes and then put them on my house wall as it's south facing.

The only frustrating thing with this is after 6 months, what if you havent got anything!!!!

Archived