Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Big black thing arrived in box today

Sorry but my new C6R has just arrived and I had to share the news with someone. The OTA box is 5 feet long! I will add to this later once I've fought through the wrapping like a child and got it all set up - BBC weather has it clear from 10pm. Huw :)

Hope you enjoy. It is very exciting when big boxes arrive. For one thing, it doesn't half puzzle the neighbours.

Kaptain Kletzov and yourself must both have that wonderful feeling of anticipation as you put it all together and wait for first light.

I hope the clouds stay away.

Ron. :)

So, that would be about f/8? I highly recommend a minus violet filter for the little bit of chromatic aberration you will experience, but it isn't that big a deal. If you are looking at the moon or planets, any colour filter will remove the violet fringe effectively. Have a blast eh?

Morning all,

thanks for all the replies yesterday, didn't get to use it last night, too cloudy :). It took me a while to get the hang of the equatorial set up in the living room but I'm looking forward to trying it properly. The CG5 mount is very sturdy compared to my previous nexstar and when the large scope is balanced everything is very smooth. My wife took a pictue of me standing next to it and I look like a child - it's huge. Thankfully it all folds away in the corner quite easily. Was surprised to see I may have to collimate the objective but it doesn't look difficult.

I have taken the scope off the mount to store it, should I take the weights off as well? Is there a good tutorial to be had on polar alignment and setting circles? Can you rely on the RA/Dec to find an object once polar aligned?

More questions to follow I suspect, Huw.

Morning all,

thanks for all the replies yesterday, didn't get to use it last night, too cloudy :o. It took me a while to get the hang of the equatorial set up in the living room but I'm looking forward to trying it properly. The CG5 mount is very sturdy compared to my previous nexstar and when the large scope is balanced everything is very smooth. My wife took a pictue of me standing next to it and I look like a child - it's huge. Thankfully it all folds away in the corner quite easily. Was surprised to see I may have to collimate the objective but it doesn't look difficult.

I have taken the scope off the mount to store it, should I take the weights off as well? Is there a good tutorial to be had on polar alignment and setting circles? Can you rely on the RA/Dec to find an object once polar aligned?

More questions to follow I suspect, Huw.

Let's have the picture then. Share, Share, Share, :)

Ron. :)

Huw, have a look at this for RA & DEC circles:

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?topic=2455.0

Also try looking around for a method known as star hopping. Basically what this is following a known route by 'hopping' from star to star to find objects in the sky. Books like Turn Left At Orion are good for this.

Polar alignment is simple enough. Point the scope North, then use the Alt bolts and Az dials to get Polaris in the middle of the hole where the polarscope should go. That should be good enough for visual observations.

Tony..

Evening all,

Clouds cleared long enough to see saturn and venus - both lovely once the scope had cooled, less chromatic abberation than I'd expected and stable at 200x witha 6.4 mm meade 4000. Fringe killer helped, as did stopping down to 4". Mount is joy to use - even though I don't know what it's capable of yet. The vibration at high mag with my nexstar 102 was a nuisance but this is great, even if I bump my specs into the EP. Star test was perfect, equal and round images either side of sharp focus. Meade 4000 40mm gives lovely wide fov and I can't wait to go hunting for faint things when the conditions are good.

My neighbours were suitably impressed with the size of my aquisition, they are coming over for drinks tomorrow so I'm hoping to get clear southern sky fro Jupiter. The whole thing balances very nicely though I need longer arms or some extended RA/Dec knobs as there is a lot of scope behind the mount.

My first impression is as I'd hoped - solid build and excellent optics, I can't wait for dark nights again! All my pics were jpg files but over the 100KB limit, I'll take some on a lower pixel setting tomorrow.

I will do a proper first light when viewing conditions improve. Best wishes to all who have been opening exciting boxes the last few days - I hope the angry clouds have forgiven us.

Huw.

Archived