Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Durham

Hightower

Hi everyone,

After purchasing my first telescope I stumbled on this site and thought I'd better sign up and introduce myself.

The telescope I bought was a Celestron TravelScope - I know it's probably the cheapest bit of kit out there but I didn't want to invest any more until I realise this is going to be a serious hobby.

Anyway, I'm Hightower, I'm from County Durham, and I'm looking forward to seeing you all around the boards.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Wise move to buy cheap until such a time as you want to invest more. However, there is always the possibility that the performance of the initial scope itself might be a factor in eventual disinterest. To that end I would certainly contact your local astro society or observing club to see what observation evenings they might have planned in order that you can take a look through all types of scopes in their different sizes to see what you might be missing!:):D Some clubs even allow you to borrow kit as well which is a really useful research tool for any future purchase.

More importantly, when (and if) you come to invest with an upgrade, the participation of the above events will have helped you establish your own benchmark of what you will need to fulfill your own expectations. It still amazes me to this day, that people will but optical equipment having never looked through a scope before and which will of course leave them open to specifications that promise to show them everything but only to deliver the few.

Clear skies

James

Hi and welcome to the forum. Wise move to buy cheap until such a time as you want to invest more. However, there is always the possibility that the performance of the initial scope itself might be a factor in eventual disinterest. To that end I would certainly contact your local astro society or observing club to see what observation evenings they might have planned in order that you can take a look through all types of scopes in their different sizes to see what you might be missing!:):D Some clubs even allow you to borrow kit as well which is a really useful research tool for any future purchase.

More importantly, when (and if) you come to invest with an upgrade, the participation of the above events will have helped you establish your own benchmark of what you will need to fulfill your own expectations. It still amazes me to this day, that people will but optical equipment having never looked through a scope before and which will of course leave them open to specifications that promise to show them everything but only to deliver the few.

Clear skies

James

Maybe I'll be able to meet up with a few local faces on here, but I was hoping to get to the meetup in March - hopefully there a few willing members will give me some pointers, and let me see their equipment to help me with future investments.

I think the meetup might be a good place to 'see whats possible' and take it from there.

hi and welcome i would not worry its a lot of cash to part with at first esp if you decide its not for you,all is not lost my friend uses the same scope for looking at the sunhe brought some solar film of flow and he as got some great pics and video of the sun welcome aboard i suggest a pack of headache tablets and if you have a swaer box at your house am sure you fill it up over the next few months

clear skies

hi and welcome to the forum from another stargazer in the n/east.

we use derwent resevior for our dark site(sunderlandastro.com).couple of members come from your neck of the woods.if weather ok we are are going up this weekend,drop me a pm,if you fancy going.

hi and welcome to the forum from another stargazer in the n/east.

we use derwent resevior for our dark site(sunderlandastro.com).couple of members come from your neck of the woods.if weather ok we are are going up this weekend,drop me a pm,if you fancy going.

Is that out Castleside way? We always walk the dog up there and was thinking that might be the closest best spot for me.

Archived