NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CG5 GT GOTO vs. HEQ5 PRO GOTO

Russe

i`ve had both mounts and did prefer the software on the Celestron mount to that of the Skywatcher, for one the Celestron software allows you to use Sun mode and slew to the Sun when you have proper filters of course, something i missed when i had the Skywatcher mount, not a problem now i`m using EQ mod of course.

then it comes down to design, the Skywatcher is better put together. illuminated polar scope, something you have to pay extra for with the Celestron, i like the way the counter weight shaft can be put up inside the mount head when not in use, the Skywatcher is alot quieter than the Celestron when slewing fast, o.k. in daytime but it sounds very loud in the middle of the night and your standing in the garden on our own.

i would add that i had no problems with the scope being solid on the Celestron mount, just as good as the Skywatcher.

£ 200 price differance worth it ? i would say yes.

I totally agree with red dwalf's comments. And whilst the HEQ5 has the 1.75" tripod legs, it doesn't feel less sturdy than the CG5 with the 2" tripod legs.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

still can't decide... still saving up for it...

I think, portability is the major key. Can't leave anything outside and always have to carry things back and forth to the house. I will get an ED80 apo (starwave??), so the CG-5 GT would easily be able to carry either Mak127 or ED80. What is the biggest scope in terms of aperture that you can put on this CG5 (should I change my mind in the future)?

Anyone else out there with a valid opinion/experience?

I carry a HEQ5, weights, Equinox 80, reducer/flattener, filterwheel, CCD, finderguider and QHY5 guidecam aproximately 50 yards without much difficulty each time I set up or pack away.

Can't say it isn't portable.

But I'm now buying an NEQ6 so I can dual mount my 120 at the same time.

You can put a 120 Evostar on the CG5 GT Goto as that's what I am using it for, it is assome guys are saying, noisy when slewing but that doesn't bother me. O

riginally I put on the Orion Optics 10" Newtonian, but was told by the guys on here that the 10" is too heavy for that mount when used for photography. So now I am saving for the NEQ 6as there's more upgradeability in that mount.

Thanks for all those comments so far! Very informative. Always difficult to make a decision when having dish out so much dough.

Have a mak127 on an alt/az and have started clicking planetary pics with a webcam. Now I'm completely hooked and I would like to have a to at DSO's.

Don't want to go for a massive scope yet, thought an APO would be a nice idea. The misses won't agree yet...

Thought I start upgrading with a proper mount first and later a scope. No money for both. As for the camera... that'll be difficult. Thought I'm gonna try my best with modding my SPC 880 to a LX and see how far that takes me.

I see now, that starting with a mak on alt/az wasn't the best idea. Should have started with an APO on a proper mount.

How are you gonna make newbies believe that the mount should come first????

I've found myself in exactly the same position Russe. If I had my time (and cash) again I'd have waited and saved more and then bought the HEQ5 Pro and a decent APO. Instead I've got the Mak which is great for planets but poor for pretty much everything else.

Anyway, I've managed to bag a CG-5 GOTO second hand (but nearly new) and it is being delivered on Saturday. Apologies to all those in the West Midlands who are going to have cloudy sky's as a result. I can't wait to try observing and some planetary imaging on a mount that will at least have some stability.

I'll have little to compare it against other than the alt/az that the Mak came on, and I hope I'm not expecting too much, but I imagine it will be a significant step up.

don`t get me wrong, the Celestron cg5 gt mount is still very capable mount, it`s just the high speed slewing noise, if Celstron did something about that i`m sure they would sell alot more.

but for the price i don`t think you can go too far wrong with it.

There's nothing wrong with that CG5 GT mount, people have had 10" newts on those mounts for visual or a C9.25, I've got one & could have easily got a HEQ5 Pro, there's one thing thats lets the HEQ5 Pro down are it's 1.75" legs, that was enough for me to sway towards the CG5 GT at least I will have some better stability...

I have the CG5-GT mount with an SCT C6 and an WOZ 66 mounted on a heavy dual mounting plate. The whole thing is rock solid and although it takes some lifting I never lift it with the scopes/plate on the mount. The noise when slewing is not that bad an exaggerated I think. At least my very close neighbours don't complain! The tracking is excellent for imaging and it is compatible with all the best controller software. If there is one criticism it is that is a bit "plasticy"

My point exactly if the HEQ5 PRO mount is heavier, why does mr skywatcher give it a rubbish pair of legs, I mean the NEQ6 Pro mount is a lot beefier but not as much as a CGEM but yet they come with adequate legs.

If your thinking to upgrade your mount in the future, save your extra pennies now for something like a NEQ6 or a CGEM, don't bother going for something cheaper. Just trying to save your hard earned cash.

Thanks for all those comments so far! Very informative. Always difficult to make a decision when having dish out so much dough.

Have a mak127 on an alt/az and have started clicking planetary pics with a webcam. Now I'm completely hooked and I would like to have a to at DSO's.

Don't want to go for a massive scope yet, thought an APO would be a nice idea. The misses won't agree yet...

Thought I start upgrading with a proper mount first and later a scope. No money for both. As for the camera... that'll be difficult. Thought I'm gonna try my best with modding my SPC 880 to a LX and see how far that takes me.

I see now, that starting with a mak on alt/az wasn't the best idea. Should have started with an APO on a proper mount.

How are you gonna make newbies believe that the mount should come first????

I'm in exactly the same position as you, same scope, same choices etc, thinking of getting a skwatcher HEQ5 Pro Synscan at the moment as I like the idea of autoguiding

For me the HEQ5 feels sturdy enough on its lighter legs.

We have a pair of CG5 legs we could put on our HEQ5 (from a CG5 that toppled over, alas!), but I'd rather keep the weight down. We got the HEQ5 as a lighter version of the NEQ6 that is easier to heft around, which is exactly what it feels like to me!

You know, I've had my HEQ5 Pro mount for over a month now and it was only when reading this thread I realised it had an illuminated polar scope. I usually do polar alignment with just the mount (no weights, scope, power etc). The things you learn just by reading the forum... as opposed to the manual of course.

Archived