Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What Noels tools can do

I find colour processing a real struggle, I don't know enough about it and time is at a premium. I had a play with Noel's tools today and was staggered at how easy it was to make a profound difference.

two of the leo trio as a simple RGB combine showing my light pollution. Noels resynthesise green channel on that very same picture. No messing around in any other way. It would need a little play and a combine with a processed luminance but a carp image to pleasing, (for me any way), in an easy and quick step.

post-12863-13387732871_thumb.jpg

post-12863-133877328717_thumb.jpg

Where's that resynthesis green channel tucked away Anthony. I know about creating a synthetic green channel from R and B but not the one you've used.

It might be one and the same you know. I took my RGB and combined them with Noel's RGB combine. That is the nice green picture. Then I ran the synth green channel. I have called it resynth, (unconciously?), as it appeared to take the RGB image and make a proper green channel getting rid of all the LP.

I could not do it just with the RB images.

Anthony

That's fantastic picture. What camera did you use? I only have toucam but once I learn more about sky and imaging I will try DSO.

It is a Starlight express SXV H9. I got it second hand less than a year ago. Great camera in many respects.

Anthony

That's very interesting Ant. I processed your green image - setting the black points for each channel in levels to remove bias. There was some vignetting in green which Russ Croman's gradient exterminator just about sorted. The back ground still wasn't as clean as the one post Noels action. However I expected to be able to do a lot more with the colour since the independent green channel had been preserved. I couldn't though, the colour was just as good with the synthetic green channel. The star colour came out very nicely in both.

Great RGB - it was possible to push up the saturation a bit before noise in the outer bits became an issue so when you add it to the luminence it will be a cracker.

Well it may be that, (there is light pollution in all of them :)). On reflection it is probably also to do with the cameras rgb sensitivity. As soon as i saw what came out the other end of the processing i was delighted and posted without delay.

Bottom line is that Noel's actions make life better for clots like me. :)

Fabulous image Ant, you have got to be happy with that.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Chuffed to bits.

You should see the horse head and flame I cobbled together at work from old data as well as a shot at Betelgeuse from when it was up and about. Grinning like a grinning grinner I was. When I get a chance i shall tag it onto this post.

Once again. Noel's actions - top job.

(What I have actually learnt is that my camera is better at picking up green, and i should really weight my exposures accordingly. Small detail but big difference in the final product)

Well this is the horsehead. Again, very easy to do. This is from data collected sometime around Feb 07. Poor framing over successive nights meant some cropping. Construct rgb in Noels tools. Synth green frame. Levels and curves. Blur and increase saturation. Then layer on top a Ha image. Tweak and flatten.

Question - around the smaller of the two brightest stars there is an area of nebulosity. On the colour frame this was really nice. Layering the Ha frame as luminance on top wiped it out :) When I layered as normal I was able to see it but the colour faded throughout the whole picture. Can I somehow layer the Ha as luminance then selectively brush over this area of nebulosity to allow the underlying colour to come through in just that area?

Many thanks

post-12863-133877328813_thumb.jpg

Yes! Assuming you are adding the Ha as a luminence layer with the RGB as background - select the luminence layer then under layers select layer mask/reveal all. Now select the brush tool and make the foreground colour on the tools palette black . Just brush over the area of the luminence layer you want to hide. Looking on the layers palette you can see the areas you have brushed. This should do the job for you Ant.

Lovely horsehead. Have you tried using the Ha luminence as the background layer, then adding RGB using colour as the blend mode then adding a red Ha using lighten as the blend mode?

Yes! Assuming you are adding the Ha as a luminence layer with the RGB as background - select the luminence layer then under layers select layer mask/reveal all. Now select the brush tool and make the foreground colour on the tools palette black . Just brush over the area of the luminence layer you want to hide. Looking on the layers palette you can see the areas you have brushed. This should do the job for you Ant.

Cheers Martin,

will look at that tomorrow

Have you tried using the Ha luminence as the background layer, then adding RGB using colour as the blend mode then adding a red Ha using lighten as the blend mode?

I'll certainly have a bash at that - I'll let you know how I get on

Ant

Archived