Greetings from Putney

Papakha

Hi there everyone,

Yet another person here who's watching Stargazing on BBC2 has re-awakened the fascination of was once a great childhood hobby of mine! I used to go stargazing with my little brother and my dad and his bino's when I was a young'un and absolutely loved him telling us all about what the stars were like compared to our sun and about the different planets we could see (he was a physicist by training and an amateur astronomer). Seeing things with one's own eyes and engaging the imagination is really quite something. When I moved to London, however, the sky seemed to almost wither away and I found myself, although fascinated by astronomy, merely maintaining my enjoyment through buying lots of different books instead. Haven't yet found a local Astronomy club and what with the rigours of work to contend with, haven't necessarily had that much time to look. However, watching Stargazing really re-ignited my motivation to not only start up my astronomical hobby once again but also to seek like minded bods with whom to chat. It's a bit daunting to be honest, but I love to see the camaraderie that clubs and communities tend to have. I've even managed to get the missus interested ... well, almost ... and so am very happy to be here and to join the lounge :)

I'm still a beginner and so have a fairly basic, beginner level telescope but would love to find a local club or group (Putney, Wimbledon, South-West London) with whom to head out stargazing, especially whilst we have the relatively clear winter skies with us.

Very happy to meet you all :)

Cheers,

Dimitri

Hi Dimitri and welcome to the forum. There are plenty of people from all around the country and I would imagine that it won't be long before you can make some contacts with some astronomers in your neck of the woods.

Clear skies

James

Richmond and Kew AS seem to have vanished. Your best bet might be Ewell, Reading (quick on the train from you) or Guildford AS. I have been to all of them and they are quite active. However not so convenient for observing locations (quite a long way away from you),. I am slightly further out than you (Hampton Hill) and mainly observe from a light polluted back garden. Check out the Surrey Observers social group, then go out to near Dorking regularly and would be a good place to start observing.

All the best, you'll find the answer to most of your questions here.

Cheers

PEter

Archived