NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Next Clear Night!!!

bullettooth

Hey all.

Sunday and Monday nights are the next clear nights over the north-east. 7 day weather forecast for ts18, Issued 19/01/2012 15:28:54 by TheWeatherOutlook, updated every 6 hours.

bit windy tho.

snow next thursday :) not looking forward for that.

plenty of time for me to get planning a session.

when is everyone else's next clear night? and what do you plan on looking for?

CLEAR SKIES

Martin

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I purchased a pair of Celeston SkyMaster 15x70. Im hoping to do my first observing on Sunday and Monday as cloud cover is predicted at 2-8% compared to a miserable 100% cover tonight and tomorrow.

when is everyone else's next clear night?

If I could tell you that I'd be a millionaire because I'd also know how to predict the lottery. I find Sat24 and Met Office invaluable for telling me what to expect in the next few hours, but I've lost count of the number of times I've headed out after a forecast of clear sky only to be clouded out, or gone because my barometer says good when the forecast says no, and been treated to an all-night clear sky.

I plan my session once I arrive at my site: I see what part of the sky is best placed, get out the appropriate chart for that bit of sky and my observing list for that chart, and start observing. My observing list is the NGC - I don't expect to run out any time soon.

Fingers crossed for clear skies. In any case it's expected to be very windy, so I'm not expecting a repeat of the beautiful conditions last weekend.

get out the appropriate chart for that bit of sky and my observing list for that chart, and start observing. My observing list is the NGC - I don't expect to run out any time soon.

what charts do you use and where did u get them from? i could do with something like that.

cheers

martin

what charts do you use and where did u get them from? i could do with something like that.

cheers

martin

I use Great Atlas Of The Sky: The Great Atlas of the Sky - about atlas It's expensive and wouldn't suit everyone but it suits me. A free alternative would be JR's TriAtlas C: JR's website on Deep Sky Astronomy Previously I used Uranometria: Uranometria 2000.0 Deep Sky Atlas and before that, SkyAtlas unlaminated field edition (can't find a link) which I still use with the finder to get me onto the right Great Atlas chart.

The NGC can be downloaded from various sites, e.g. here: Astronomie-Homepage von Wolfgang Steinicke

In the NGC spreadsheet I entered the Great Atlas chart number of each object (by using the RA and Dec co-ords of the edge of each chart), re-ordered by chart number, reformatted it in a more scope-friendly way, and printed it out in a ring binder. Pretty time consuming, but it has speeded up my observing a lot.

As long as there's a clear sky, that is. You do indeed learn to be philosophical about the weather.

So depressing this weather. Last year was terrible amounts of cloud cover, just when i was really starting to get interested in astro. The year before i purchased my DSLR and was getting some good pics, last year i bought a decent tripod and some good lenses hoping to start getting better pics -- clouds have killed that idea. Can only imagine it getting worse, as i ordered my scope today LOL -- sorry guys, looks like the clouds are my fault LOL

hi , i have looked at the weather for the north east , and all around the aberdeen to caithness area is forcast for rain and cloud ......:)

Good point - when we say things like "north-east" we need to say what country we mean.:)

Good point - when we say things like "north-east" we need to say what country we mean.:)

ooops! north-east england i was meaning. just thought it was a given as stockton-on-tees is noted in my heading. guess no-one knows where that is or where the river tees is. :)

anyway clear over my area sunday and monday lol :)

lets hope it does. saturn is amazing. :)

Not seen it yet, but then I'm very new to all this so that's probably not so suprising lol. Really looking forward to it when I do see it, Jupiter gave me a seriously big grin as too did the orion Nebula. Had a look for Andromeda a couple of times, but seeing was bad, I didn't know where I was looking and it was getting a bit low by the time I was looking for it so probably below my line of sight for that direction.

It was supposed to be getting a bit brighter here this afternoon, but damn the cloud makers, it's got thicker and thicker all day :)

Archived