NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone else lost BBC2?

rocketandroll

Just noticed 2 minutes before the final Stargazing Live started that the record light hadn't come on on my Skybox...

went and checked and the damn thing claimed that BBC2 was no longer transmitting?!

I had to rush out to pick my wife up at 5 past and couldn't get it to work, every other channel seemed fine... just got back in, turned off the box, turned it back on again, lo and behold, it's just started recording the last 20 minutes for me...

Totally gutted, no idea if this was a Sky issue or just my box choosing this exact moment, on this exact channel, out of 600+ channels in the whole year to screw up missing the one live unrepeated show I desperately wanted to see?

Ben

PS: no, i-players not an option, last time I checked I was getting 26Kbps internet speed here :-)

The quality of the Skybox leaves a lot to be desired, my Son has his is own business in the TV repair trade, I can not repeat what he calls the Skybox from time to time, they do tend to lock up and play tricks with recordings, the cure is to unplug the unit for a few seconds, when problems start, this helps to reboot the system when you plug it back in :D

I'm on Freeview, not Skybox, and it all seems OK here as far as BBC2 is concerned.

If you can get an aerial signal, and if your area has already 'switched over' I would advise you to ditch Skybox and go for Freeview - at least for all those channels which are available on Freeview.

In our area, which has not yet switched over, performance is patchy. BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC news and a few others are on MUX1 which is a fairly strong signal, however ITV1, Chan4, Chan5 etc. are on MUX2 which is much weaker and we sometimes get problems. Likewise for BBC4 and a few other odd channels which are on MUX B.

Note that these allocations only apply to before switchover. I'm hoping that after that (May 2012 for us) and after I've re-tuned, things will be a lot cleaner.

Archived