NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Io transiting Jupiter animation

samir_ansari

Great animation. I'm sure that lots of hard work went into it.

I really like how you've captured the different rates at which Jupiter, Io, and Io's shadow rotate. I know that it's obvious, but it takes you seeing it to really get it in your head.

Sorry I forgot to mention the details. This was 30 videos of 1500 frames taken with a Skymax 127 and 2.5x barlow. I left 5 minutes in between each video and the whole session ran from about 6pm to 9pm before Jupiter disappeared behind the trees.

This was probably the last time I would get a shot at imaging Jupiter this year so I'm glad I've ended it with one of these :D

Thanks everyone, I'm very happy with it although my location really bottlenecks the clarity I can achieve with this target due to the smog.

Stuart, this was tweaked, aligned and animated manually in photoshop. It was the first time I'd used photoshop for an animated sequence and must say I found it pretty intuitive to use.

Thanks very much. This hobby certainly comes into use when working on movies set in space I must say, however the downside is that everyone in the office assumes I can answer all questions about the universe - I normally just make it up as I go along.

I haven't tried winJupos yet but I've seen results from others, I'm definitely going to give it a go in the next few days.

Hi Samir, I tried to play around with WinJupos but it is not for time lapse as you (and me) are making. The idea here is to capture a full map of the planet (by taking single shots hours and even days apart). The program then takes the map and "dress up" the planet with it. Personally I like the time lapse much better so I dropped WinJupos exept for when I want to calculate the planet meridian. If you are still interested in it let me know and I'll try to write a short how to manual

Dror

Hi Samir, I tried to play around with WinJupos but it is not for time lapse as you (and me) are making. The idea here is to capture a full map of the planet (by taking single shots hours and even days apart). The program then takes the map and "dress up" the planet with it. Personally I like the time lapse much better so I dropped WinJupos exept for when I want to calculate the planet meridian. If you are still interested in it let me know and I'll try to write a short how to manual

Dror

Thanks for that Dror but I think I may have to come back to winJupos further down the line when I have better planetary photos to work with as I'm very limited from my current location.

Archived