Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescopes on Stargazing Live

FLO

Did anyone spot the Skywatcher 130p SupaTrak on Stargazers Live?

No? Perhaps it is a retailer thing :)

If last year's Stagazing Live is anything to go by the Skywatcher 130 and 130p series are going to be very popular this month so I have put together a quick guide for FLO's News Section.

I hope it strikes the right balance between being readable and informative.

I'll check it again in the morning then edit if it looks necessary.

Off to bed now :D

Steve

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed a 130P, but was not sure if it was a Skywatcher or a Celestron...Maybe you might want add a tad something about collimating a reflector. As if the collimation goes out, the beginner will not be to dis-heartened that they may think something is wrong with the scope...

I take it you will not be offering beginners refractors in the mix...?

I had a loose bowel moment when I thought the game was about to be given away as to how much my mount was. So far I've made £450 seem convincing.

:) hahaha that has made me chuckle.

Don't count your chickens, 2 more nights to go yet !

...and Dara can you explain a little about the EQ6 for the viewers.......

to be sure Brian, you'd be paying about a grand for one of these beauties....

errr,errr......... :D nah love they've tripled in price - fluctuations in the chinese yuan etc... etc...

Maybe you might want add a tad something about collimating a reflector.

Done :D

Stargazing Live Telescopes

I take it you will not be offering beginners refractors in the mix...?

I will probably write another short article on refractors. They did show a couple of on Stargazing Live but Newtonian reflecting telescopes offer better value for money at the entry-level end of the market.

We certainly won't be promoting small aperture achromat refractors on wobbly GOTO mounts.

I had a loose bowel moment when I thought the game was about to be given away as to how much my mount was. So far I've made £450 seem convincing.

Haha! :D

Incidentally, the BBC SGL programme did omit any mention of cadiotropic telescope designs. These are pretty good for getting up close and personal with the planets and the moon. The Mak 127 for instance is an awesome starter scope that performs really rather well. Also available from FLO :)

You might also want to mention the excellent 130P Heritage, which I think is an outstanding scope for the money.

Good point, I forgot that one. It has been added to the article :D

And other reputable retail outlets :)

I think Malcolm is thinking of RVO. They too offer the models listed in our article. They also offer a 76mm Newtonian on a fork-mount and a 114mm Newtonian with a doubling element built into the focuser...

Steve

Incidentally, the BBC SGL programme did omit any mention of cadiotropic telescope designs. These are pretty good for getting up close and personal with the planets and the moon. The Mak 127 for instance is an awesome starter scope that performs really rather well. Also available from FLO :D

I guess they wanted to highlight affordable telescopes so avoided the more expensive designs. It'll be interesting to see what models/types they mention tonight.

I know what you mean though.

I think Malcolm is thinking of RVO.

Steve

Not particularly, just that there are probably around a dozen retailers, including RVO that all offer similar if not the same products, and although FLO are SGL sponsors, it is only right that anyone (new and old) are made aware of choice :)

It was also a slight tongue in cheek joke in that often is someone mentions a retailer of a product on a TV show the presenters often jump in with the comment "and available at other leading retailers" --- I'll get my coat :D

I am so tempted by one of the 130P Heritage's. They look like an ideal scope for having a quick pan of the skies that gives much more than a pair of binoculars can.

Quick question for those in the know: Would it conceivably be possible to put tube rings on this and use it with a camera tripod?

I didn't see the telescope indicated but why is it that the stargazers live event resembles a collection of folk more akin to trainspotters than those astronomers who with each available night renew our examination of our wonderful universe.

:) hahaha that has made me chuckle.

Don't count your chickens, 2 more nights to go yet !

...and Dara can you explain a little about the EQ6 for the viewers.......

to be sure Brian, you'd be paying about a grand for one of these beauties....

errr,errr......... :D nah love they've tripled in price - fluctuations in the chinese yuan etc... etc...

I'm not even joking! I had a similar moment watching the 700th Sky at Night when Peter Laurence sidled up to someone with one and started asking questions. I've also got to watch the Astronomy Now magazine because of Rother Valley adverts.

The trick to making someone believe that something is a LOT cheaper than it was is to pick a price that's just on the wrong side of frowned on and angrily complain about the price yourself.

Quick question for those in the know: Would it conceivably be possible to put tube rings on this and use it with a camera tripod?

I am not aware of anyone who has done that. You could only fit rings to the bottom half so balance would be tricky.

HTH,

Steve

I am not aware of anyone who has done that. You could only fit rings to the bottom half so balance would be tricky.

HTH,

Steve

Thanks Steve,

That's what I was thinking... A long (400-500mm) supporting bar/dovetail and a ring or two. Might make a large aperture ultraportable where a table isn't possible to arrange.

Do you have any in stock?

All the best,

Mike

Haha! :D

Incidentally, the BBC SGL programme did omit any mention of cadiotropic telescope designs. These are pretty good for getting up close and personal with the planets and the moon. The Mak 127 for instance is an awesome starter scope that performs really rather well. Also available from FLO :)

I'd agree about the scope and I'd even suggest that a small Mak might be better than a 'frac for people interested in lunar or planetary viewing especially where storage space is restricted. At the time I assumed they avoided the more complex designs because they're more difficult to explain. People are generally familiar with refractors and a newt is not a very tricky concept, but a Mak or SCT isn't quite so simple.

James

I'd agree about the scope and I'd even suggest that a small Mak might be better than a 'frac for people interested in lunar or planetary viewing especially where storage space is restricted. At the time I assumed they avoided the more complex designs because they're more difficult to explain. People are generally familiar with refractors and a newt is not a very tricky concept, but a Mak or SCT isn't quite so simple.

James

I'd probably have ended by saying,

"And there are compound, hybrid telescopes which are a combination of lenses and mirrors - these are ideal for observing planets and the moon if you have limited space, because they're more compact and portable than the other designs"

Job done.

Either way, I'm enjoying the SGL show thus far - they've got the right mix of segments going on in my opinion. Something for everyone.

Mike

Archived