NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Contemplating an observatory - would you think it worthwhile?

osbourne one-nil

For ages now, I've been weighing up between a permanent observatory at home, or a more mobile set-up. The pros of having a permanent set-up are obvious, but my garden at home does have a limited view of the sky due to some mature Ash trees. I would, however, have a clear view from south south west to west and zenith.

I'm thinking that everything would be visible eventually with that vista and that there'd always be something to observe/image. Equally, I could invest the money spent on an observatory on a nice mobile set-up and take advantage of the lovely dark skies I have within a couple of miles.

A completely subjective question, I know, that only I can answer, but I think what I'm really asking is does anyone else have an observatory despite a relatively restricted field of view?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an observatory and have restricted views to the south and south west because of the South Downs, restricted views to the north and north west because of my house BUT the advantages of a fixed observatory for imaging outweigh the restrictions for me, especially in the UK with its fickle weather!

Ha - it's your book that's making me ponder the question!

I could add the north west to my vista too but only by building something on top of my garden office. it's a very sturdy timber construction, but I'd have to isolate the floor somehow. It would also expose me to more of the village's excessive and unnecessary streetlights, whereas if I accepted a smaller field of view, I would be more screened from them by my garden and house. As you say though, the advantages, especially with Cumbrian weather....!

Last winter I spent some time out in the cold, windy weather, perched on a stool with scope on tripod and mount, on the wet grass, popping indoors every so often to warm up and defrost my fingers. I was dead keen to get some decent images of various objects and promised myself something better for this winter. So I spent the best part of a year and an enormous amount of effort, digging a great big hole in the ground, pouring a ton of concrete and building what has turned out to be a pretty deluxe observatory with warm room, with concrete pier and roll off roof. I has been the biggest project I have ever tackled. A big job but very rewarding - worth it? - you bet!! :D I haven't quite finished the fitting out and not had many clear nights but I can certainly see the benefits. Mind you I have to admit that at my age I do like my creature comforts :)

I'd better add that my site has good views in most directions but so far I've had my scope pointing almost straight up. So yes, there's plenty to see at the higher angles. Best if you can see Polaris but I gather even this isn't essential. A portable setup would very much restrict how much equipment you could use and how good. If you are into imaging you want a lot to make a good go of it. Observing is much less critical and you could use a Dob and little else. For imaging you need a decent mount with good tracking or guiding.

I've spent 30 years sitting out in the cold - so perhaps my time is up!

I've been out this evening, and there is an area, on the edge of the patio, currently occupied by a very scraggly small tree which I can't identify (and as a landscape architect, I know my trees). If I were to remove that, it would actually give me the best field of view in the whole garden, by 10ft from the patio doors and have the advantge of a concrete base with a hole in (where the tree currently is) for an eventual pier.

I can feel a plan hatching!

My son and I are just venturing into astro imaging very slowly, starting off with a Nexstar imager through my TV85. I can then perhaps upgrade to a decent equatorial, then perhaps a nice fast ratio newt, etc etc, but I'll always keep my 10" suitcase dob for those nights when we want to venture out together. Step by step will do for me, but I like having a plan!

When I lived at Kirkby Stephen, I once built an observing platform so I could get above my high garden walls. It was basically a tree house, without the tree, and a cut-down telegraph pole inserted through a hole in the deck and strained to the garden wall with wire. It was fantastic, and whilst it wouldn't have sufficed for imaging it did give me a wonderful panoramic view.....until the farmer next door decided he needed to floodlight his yard all night long. I wonder why he decided to do that!

The wife has given permission for plans to be drawn up where the small tree currently is, so it's all systems go.

My restrictions are mainly to the SW, W and N as that's where the houses are, but the benefits of having an observatory far outweighed the negatives. I would also suggest that if you can incorporate a warm room in your design it's well worth it, saves having to pop back inside the house to warm up and have a cuppa, and means you can continue to observe and keep an eye on your scope in some degree of comfort.

I think I'm convinced about the benefits of an observatory now. It would be lovely. I could extend into the rabbits' en-suite garden for a warm room, although with the house just 10ft away.......

I shall start drawing something up this evening I think. My Nextstar imager arrived in today's post and it's crystal clear out there right now, so I'll be outside weighing things up. I'm not sure I'll be able to see Polaris from where I'm thinking, but there must be ways around that. I'll also have a think about how big I might eventually want to go. I imagine if I designed for a 10" Newt, that would be more than enough, but there's plenty of advice on here to look at.

Another thing I'm wondering about is whether I should go for a dome or a removable roof. The dome would sort the problem of the surrounding streetlights, but I do like being out under an open sky. What I might do is rig myself up some light screens a similar size to a proposed observatory and see what I think.

Well worth it, if you're a bit "decrepit"... And (in cold temperatures!) we all age, sadly? LOL. I think a view around SOUTH (plus or minus) is always going to be just fine - You can wait (instructively!) for the seasons to change? :D My (bought, Alexanders) observatory "coincides" with rooftops, some trees etc., but at least protects me from chilly WINDS and, with the homebrew "partition", allows me reasonable comfort, a "desk" and semi-permanent cupboard space. Go for it, I'd say! :)

Having an observatory where most of the equipment is already in-situ, does make you go out more and take advantage of short clear spells when you wouldn't normally bother. So whatever your restrictions get it built. It will make a big difference to your productivity. BUT as suggested before check with your local planning permission department if permission is required. They will give you a letter to say it is OK to build if permission isn't required which you will need to keep. I didn't require planning permission in my old house, but when I moved I did, despite the dome being exactly the same and under the same planning department. So always best to check before you build and get that confirmation. This will ensure no-one can complain afterwards and you being forced to knock it down as the local planning department didn't know about it.

Dave

I say build the obsy, it'll give you a great excuse to buy buy a GEM, imaging scope, guide scope, guide cam and imaging CCD - well, you have to exploit the investment made to the obsy to the fullest :)

I would love an obsy, I have a shed that I use as a "warm room" and even that makes a big difference on an imaging run.

best thing i ever did my 9 foot by 7 foot green house was converted ,i took all the glas out and covered in wood i made to sections for the roof worked out well keeps me warm and the wind does not shake the scopes to bits

mature trees hate have in holes drilled into them with a cordless drill,and 15mm drill bit i had two trees like that about 20 meters away they died in about 4 months and the local council cut them down

Thanks everyone. Re the planning - it would almost certainly qualify as permitted development, although I'm sure I could make a case for it being a "temporary" building. However, I am about to put in an application for a small extension, and will get this dealt with at the same time, and save a planning fee. I work as a consultant for the local authority planning department anyway, so I know it will go through on delegated powers, unless my next door neighbours (who are the only people who could see it) object. Seeing as they're only there about two weeks a year though, I'd be annoyed, and they'd have no valid objection anyway.

I've got to be careful about the nearby trees, as I'm in a conservation area, but they're all over-mature Ash trees and are very near the end of their useful life, so will probably be gone within a few years anyway. The small tree I will be removing won't have protection on it due to its small size, so that can go without permission.

... although I'm sure I could make a case for it being a "temporary" building.

I was told by my local planning department that there is no such thing as "A temporary Building".

Just make sure you write to them outlining what you want to build with all the dimensions. A photo of something similar will help and where it will be located in the garden.

They will then send you the necessary planning exemption letter, or tell you to apply for full planning permission if it is required.

Dave

Another option would surely be to construct a pier, on a suitable night place the mount on the pier, with my Telegizmo cover just to hand, just in case? I could do that and then construct a permanent shelter around it at a later date when time allows?

I'm just impatient!

We have had gusts of up to 30mph over the last 6weeks and it hasn't moved an inch.

The open section of the roof isnt even finished yet but once it was secured it was fine & its stood upto some preety heavy down pours.

I dumped a PC and a few bits in the warm room, the convieniance of being able to just walk outside when the opertunity presents itself is fantastic.

I feel like i am more then getting my moneys worth out of it and now my equipment, for that reason alone i'd build your obs (whichever you go with), you won't regret it.

It's the 60mph gusts my garden gets which worries me, but there's definitely something to work with there. The winds are normally forecast, or I could easily adapt the design to match the weather here. It might even just require some extra studwork, but it does look ideal!

I mentioned the idea of making some screens out of plastic pipe earlier - well this is one step on.

Mines freestanding and the combined wieght of the structure keeps it where it is but once its up it woould be really easy to bolt it to the ground from the inside.

More studwork means more weight so that would help but if you intend to keep it collapsable (which is why i did this) then you might turn it in to a two man job.

Another way to go is whatever you end up building is to build a windbreaker to stand in front of it.

Hope that helps

I was told by my local planning department that there is no such thing as "A temporary Building".

I think the point here might be that something that constitutes a "building" can't be considered temporary. A garden shed (for example) might not count as a building (unless has foundations and is subject to building regs. etc.) and therefore could be considered temporary.

James

Archived