Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First SLR? best for AP

freelander86

Sounds like the 1100d is the way to go...

How long can you take exposures for? My current Fuji goes up to 30s but I am hoping to get the movement of the stars with longer exposures?

Im also hoping to use it for "tilt shift effect" as I see it has a mode for narrow depth of field...

Oh dear, are Nikon that bad?

We have a Nikon D90. Am I fooling myself thinking we can use that?

Saying you have to " Pull the power to save the image " is rather like being told not to use the railways because you get covered in soot. It's a half truth from history.

If you have a D90 then use it and enjoy it.

Dave.

I've a Nikon D90 and it works just great for AP. I get some violet fringing on some stars but I have a feeling the "pull the power comment" is because someone doesn't know how to turn off long exposure noise reduction.

I hear Canon are much better for capturing infrared wave lengths though. As for longest exposure, get a remote and 99% of "proper" DSLR's have Bulb mode, you can generally get an exposure as long as the battery lasts. My record was 9.5 hours last winter :D Go for wired remotes if you want that though, I know Nikons IR remotes stop the camera exposing after 29.99999999 minutes.

Best of luck in the wilderness of Cameras :)

Nikon or Canon is your best bet (personally). I have 3 DSLR's currently..

1100D - which is modded and what I'll use for my Astrophotography when i find myself a suitable scope (still looking and its frustrating!). I've done the Full light spectrum conversion at lifepixel and it works superbly.

550D - is un modded and was my first ever DSLR.

60D - my main non-AP camera I use for day, night-time, portrait, landscapes, light trails and so forth (just bought this one)

While I chose Canon, you cannot go wrong with Nikons equivalents of the above. Used my friends Nikons before and they are utterly superb, well built and do a fantastic job.

As to answer your question, I'll go on the Canon side of things. As mentioned, 1100D is a good camera cannot go wrong there. If your budget can stretch, the 600D is also a pretty good piece of kit.

I used to use my Nikon for AP but I got fed up with having to use an IR timer past the 30s sub times and the amp glow (I don't believe amp glow is an issue with the later Nikons) I moved to Canon specifically for AP as there's better AP software support for Canons.

The comment before about pulling the power was referring to getting a true RAW format dump.

If I were starting now. I'd go for the Canon when considering AP use.

When taking long exposures are there any tips for leaving the camera for long periods... What I mean is - a clear night is usually a frosty night and the camera must get very cold for a 30m exposure?

Or even the lens frosting up over 30mins?

Archived